Apr 19, 2021  
Undergraduate Catalog 2007-08 
Undergraduate Catalog 2007-08 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University and Student Services

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Complete and current information about University and Student Services may be obtained by visiting the University’s website (http://www.wmich.edu/). The services listed below are only a portion of those offered by the University to students, alumni, staff, and visitors.


  ^ TOP

The University Archives and Regional History Collections is located in East Hall, Room 111. Staff collect, preserve, and make accessible records documenting the history of the University and of twelve southwestern Michigan counties. Holdings include: books, ephemera, newspapers, microfilm, photographs, oral history tapes, and manuscript collections. In addition, local public records from southwestern Michigan are on deposit from the State Archives.

Athletics, Intercollegiate

  ^ TOP

The University is represented by men’s teams in football, baseball, basketball, tennis, ice hockey, and soccer. Women’s teams represent the University in basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, softball, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, soccer, and volleyball.

Athletics are governed by the Athletic Board, which adheres to the policies and principles established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Mid-American Conference and Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA). Western Michigan University is a member of the Mid-American Conference in all sports but Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey members are WMU, Bowling Green, Miami of Ohio, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan State University, University of Michigan, Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, Omaha Nebraska, Alaska Fairbanks, and Ferris State. Other members of the Mid-American Conference are Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Marshall, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, and Temple in the sport of football..

Career and Student Employment Services

  ^ TOP

Career and Student Employment Services advises students regarding skill development, exploring career options and obtaining professional employment upon graduation. Services include: advising by appointment and drop-in hours at various locations on campus, web-based employment listings and resources related to part-time employment, internship and full-time opportunities, on-campus interviewing, career fairs and integration of relevant career programs into existing courses throughout the university. Career program topics address current issues related to linking majors to occupational fields, interviewing, speaker panels, resume writing and job search strategies.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (269) 387-2745. The office is located on first floor of Ellsworth Hall. www.broncojobs.wmich.edu.

Children’s Place Learning Center

  ^ TOP

The Children’s Place Learning Center, located in the middle of campus at 2210 Wilbur, is open from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays. The convenient location and flexible care schedules make the center an attractive child-care option for WMU faculty, staff, and students. Children 18 months to 9 years old may be enrolled full-time, part-time or hourly. Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are included in the tuition and are provided by WMU Dining Services. A full vegetarian menu is available each day.

The Children’s Place philosophy emphasizes child-initiated learning within a culturally diverse community. The program nurtures and supports the development of children by providing developmentally appropriate activities which address each child’s need for fun, creativity, active play, communication skills, problem solving, social interaction, rest and nutrition. The program is licensed by the State of Michigan and accredited by the National Association for the education of Young Children (NAEYC). For more information and an application call (269) 387-2277 or visit www.wmich.edu/childrensplace.

Disabled Student Resources and Services

  ^ TOP

Disabled Student Resources and Services assists Western Michigan University students with disabilities as they seek to find effective accommodations, maximize their abilities and gain independence. DSRS offers advocacy, registration assistance, readers/scribes for tests and other classroom accommodations, textbooks in alternate formats, accessibility information, handi-van transportation, adaptive equipment, and referral to other campus and community agencies.

The office can be reached by calling (269) 387-2116.


  ^ TOP

Western Michigan University students may live on or off campus. Two alternatives exist on-campus, the residence halls and WMU Apartments, and both deliver tremendous value to their residents. Besides the convenience of living in the heart of campus, studies show students who live on campus adjust better and are more successful academically than those who live off campus. For these reasons, students should carefully consider the benefits of on-campus housing when choosing where to live. Rental fees include all utilities, cable TV, and local phone service.

Your residence hall application will be sent upon admission to Western Michigan University. An apartment application may be submitted before you are officially admitted to the University. The application date is the basis for assignment and the probability of an assignment increases with early application. Admission to the University or submitting a contract for a housing assignment does not guarantee a space will be available. Requests received after capacity are placed on a waiting list.

WMU Residence Halls

For information contact the Residence Life Office, 3510 Faunce Student Services Building, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5312. Telephone: 269-387-4735, FAX: 269-387-4786. Website: www.wmich.edu/housing. E-mail: RL-staff@wmich.edu.

WMU Apartments

For more information contact the WMU Apartments Office, 3510 Faunce Student Services Building, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5079. Telephone: 269-387-2175. Fax: 269-387-2880. Website: www.wmich.edu/apartment

Community Living

The Office of Community Living, a unit of Residence Life, provides services, programs and education to empower students with the skills and information for living off campus. To aid students searching for rental housing and roommates an online database is available.

Recognizing the significance of an adequate housing environment, the rental listing program is supplemented with conflict resolution and educational programs as well as tenant/landlord services. For additional information regarding off-campus housing contact Community Living, Room 3510 Faunce Student Services Building, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5312. Telephone: 269-387-2336. FAX: 269-387-4786. Website: www.wmich.edu/housing/communityliving.

Office of Information Technology

  ^ TOP

The Office of Information Technology (OIT) provides computing, data, telephone and cable services to WMU students. This includes providing a Bronco NetID (computing account) that is the student’s primary source for accessing WMU online services through the GoWMU portal (http://gowmu.wmich.edu). A Bronco NetID also provides electronic communications services such as e-mail, file space, and a personal Web site.

OIT is located on the third floor of the University Computing Center. Telephone (269) 387-5430. Web site: www.wmich.edu/oit

International Programs and Services

  ^ TOP

Western Michigan University annually hosts more than one thousand international students and has a long tradition of international involvement across all colleges. Commitment to continued expansion of our international dimension is included in the university mission statement. The “international” key on the university’s World Wide Web home page will take you to a comprehensive directory of international programs and services. Offices that administer international programs and services are conveniently located together in Ellsworth Hall.

Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education

Dr. Donald Grant McCloud, Director
B2425 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245
Telephone: (269) 387-3985; FAX (269) 387-0630
E-mail: dhi-dept@wmich.edu

The Haenicke Institute (HIGE) collaborates with colleges, departments, and interdisciplinary programs to promote global, international, and area studies throughout Western Michigan University. The Institute houses designated centers and offices devoted to international education.

International Services and Student Affairs

Ms. Rebecca Solomon, Director
A411 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5246
Telephone: (269) 387-5865; FAX (269) 387-5899
E-mail: oiss.info@wmich.edu

HIGE International Services and Student Affairs handles admissions and special needs for international students. Services include:

  • Processing of applications for admission
  • Immigration advising
  • Orientation program for newly arrived international students
  • Assistance with housing arrangements
  • Coordination of international student organizations and activities
  • Liaison between international students and financial sponsors
  • Personal and social counseling

International students interested in seeking admission to Western Michigan University may access application information and an online printable application at: http://international.wmich.edu/old/cms/oiss_appstart/index/php

Career English Language Center for International Students (CELCIS)

Ms. Kim Cho
0530 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5223
Telephone: (269) 387-4800; FAX (269) 387-4806
E-mail: celcis_info@wmich.edu

The Career English Language Center for International Students (CELCIS) provides intensive English language instruction for prospective students who need further training to qualify for admission to Western Michigan University. Holders of F-1 visas in the CELCIS program must be enrolled full-time; resident aliens and holders of F-2 visas may attend CELCIS programs on a part-time basis.

CELCIS classes at various levels include: speaking and listening comprehension, grammar, academic reading and vocabulary building, academic writing, and research paper writing. Extra-curricular activities include monthly social hours, conversation partners, home visits, and various social, sport, and cultural programs.

CELCIS operates four terms per year: two fifteen-week terms (fall and spring), and two seven-week terms (summer I and II). University Testing and Evaluation Services offers the institutional TOEFL at the conclusion of each term. CELCIS issues the Certificate of Eligibility for a visa (Form I-20 or IAP-66) specifically for admission to CELCIS programs. Admission to CELCIS does not imply admission to WMU’s Graduate College or to a degree program.

Contact the CELCIS office for application materials, or access information and forms online at http://international.wmich.edu/content/view/530/306/

Study Abroad

Ms. Joyce Lew, Director
B2425 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245
Telephone: (269) 387-5890; FAX (269) 387-0630
E-mail: study-abroad@wmich.edu

Study Abroad offers more than 60 study programs varying in length from a few weeks to a full academic year and access to hundreds of non-WMU study abroad providers to destinations in 35 countries. Programs are available for undergraduates and graduates in a broad spectrum of disciplines for an academic year, one semester, or summer terms. Competitive scholarships and grants are available, such as the President’s Grant for Study Abroad that offers up to $9,000 for foreign-language students seeking an overseas language-intensive experience.

Graduate students who undertake study abroad programs, or conduct individualized research, field studies, internships or other experiences outside the United States that carry WMU academic credit, and/or under the direct auspices of WMU faculty, must register with the Office of Study Abroad.

Study Abroad also provides a number of important services to WMU students preparing to study, intern, or do research outside the United States. Services include orientation programs, insurance procedures, and current information about conditions in countries of destination. Study Abroad maintains an extensive research area and databases for programs offered by other colleges and universities. The office also serves as a contact point between WMU students overseas and the university.

Multicultural Affairs, The Division of

  ^ TOP

The Division of Multicultural Affairs, formerly known as the Division of Minority Affairs, promotes a supportive environment for racial/ethnic minority students by providing a range of services and programs that have a positive impact on their academic success and quality of life.

To enhance diversity in the community, the Division initiates and coordinates cultural programming and facilitates opportunities for learning and personal development for all students at Western Michigan University. The Division’s activities are designed to define and positively react to minority students’ needs and impact their environment. By doing so, students are ensured the greatest opportunity for a successful and relevant educational experience.

For information, call 269-387-4420 or visit the office in Ellsworth Hall or visit the website www.multicultural.wmich.edu

Parking and Vehicle Registration

  ^ TOP

Detailed regulations concerning the use of motor vehicles on campus is available from the Department of Public Safety’s Parking Services. All students are eligible to park a motor vehicle on University property; however, they must first register their motor vehicle, motorcycle, and/or moped with the Parking Services and pay a registration fee. Information concerning parking regulations, parking permits, and parking violations can be obtained by visiting Parking Services located at 2507 West Michigan Avenue (at the corner of West Michigan and Knollwood) or by telephoning 387-4609 during normal University business hours. Visit our web page at www.parking.wmich.edu for complete rules, sticker prices, and online registration.


  ^ TOP

Located at 511 Monroe, off the 1300 block of West Michigan Ave., the Department of Public Safety is open 24 hours a day, providing a full range of police services through the use of a uniformed patrol division, a detective division, and a communications center. The Department of Public Safety is responsible for investigating all crimes and accidents occurring on University property and is committed to providing an environment conducive to the education of the students at Western Michigan University. Towards that goal, the department’s various divisions and bureaus have coordinated their efforts to create and maintain a feeling of security and safety within the University community. Information can be obtained by visiting the office, telephoning 387-5555 or 911 in an emergency.


  ^ TOP

Western Herald, WMU’s student newspaper, is published Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays during the fall and spring semesters, Mondays and Thursdays during the summer I session, and Wednesdays during the summer II session. The Western Herald is made available to students partially through support from the general fund of Western Michigan University. All positions on the paper are filled by students with the exception of the general manager/advisor.

Western News is the official publication for administration, faculty, and staff members. It is published every other Thursday during fall and spring semesters and the Summer I session by the Office of University Relations. That office also produces WMU News, an online news sourse that is updated daily, and the Western Michigan University Magazine, which is published. four times annually and distributed to alumni, donors, friends and members of the University community.


  ^ TOP

WMUK is Western’s public radio broadcasting service, operating at 102.1 on the FM dial with a power of 50,000 watts and serves an area 80 miles in radius; this area includes most of the southwestern quarter of the state.

WMUK(FM) provides a cultural extension of the University through its broadcasts of campus, community, and area events. Through the satellite-linked National Public Radio network of stations, WMUK provides listeners with outstanding programming in the fine and popular arts, news, and information from around the world. WMUK has built an enviable reputation in classical, bluegrass, and jazz music programming, as well as programming for Spanish-speaking audiences.

WMUK(FM) is a charter member of NPR, the National Public Radio network of over 500 non-commercial radio stations.

WIDR-FM, a 100-watt station operated by students, broadcasts on 89.1. Facilities of WIDR-FM are located in 1501 Faunce Student Services Building. WIDR-FM offers a unique opportunity for Western Michigan University students to gain experience in programming, promotion, and station operation. For more information, please visit the website at www.widr.org.

Sindecuse Health Center

  ^ TOP

Accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), Sindecuse Health Center is a student-oriented medical facility that exists to assist the University community members to achieve and maintain their optimal health status. As a student attending Western Michigan University, you have access to high-quality, convenient health care through our many professional services. Our entire staff works as a team to assist you with your health care and health education needs. For a complete explanation of services, visit the Center’s website at www.sindecuse.com.

Important Phone Numbers

Appointments   387-3290
Information   387-3287
Insurance Information   387-3266
Pharmacy   387-3301
Health Promotion/Health Info 387-3263
Sports Medicine Clinic   387-3248
HIV Antibody Testing   387-4HIV
Social Work   387-4623


Speech, Language, and Hearing Services

  ^ TOP

The Van Riper Language, Speech, and Hearing Clinic is a service program provided by the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology for persons with communication disorders. It is located in the Unified Clinics at University Medical and Health Sciences Center, 1000 Oakland Drive. Students may take advantage of diagnostic and therapeutic services by contacting the Clinic for an appointment. Telephone: 387-8047.

Student Activities and Leadership Programs

  ^ TOP

The mission of the Student Activities & Leadership Programs is to enhance student learning and leadership development by engaging students in educationally purposeful academic and diverse co-curricular experiences.

Student Activities & Leadership Programs has over 300 registered student organizations at WMU representing a diverse range of interests. We welcome you as a valued member of our community and are excited to be a part of your learning and personal development.

For detailed information, visit the website at www.salp.wmich.edu or visit the office, 2420 Faunce Student Services Building.

Student Directory

  ^ TOP

The WMU Faculty/Staff/Student Telephone Directory is published annually by University Relations (Office of). It is distributed during early November, without charge, to all students in residence halls and family housing units, and is available at the Information Center in the Seibert Administration Building.

Individual listings in the WMU Student Directory contain the following information:

  1. Name
  2. Curriculum
  3. Local address and telephone number
  4. Home address

Students wishing to exclude any or all of the above information from the WMU Student Directory (printed and electronic) must fill out a Directory Exclusion Form in Room 3210, Seibert Administration Building, during the first five days of classes fall semester. During spring, summer I, and summer II terms, students may restrict this information to academic use by filling out the Directory Exclusion Form during the first five days of classes.

Substance Abuse Services

  ^ TOP

For alcohol and substance abuse services and referrals, please contact the University Counseling and Testing Center at (269) 387-1850, 2513 Faunce Services Building between 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Servies for students are free unless they are court ordered. Requests for court ordered services are referred to the University Substance Abuse Clinic, located in the Unified Clinics at (269) 387-8230, 1000 Oakland Drive, 3rd Floor. For directions to the building go to www.pp.wmich.edu/buildings/017.html. Students are encouraged to make appointments by visiting or calling the appropriate office directly.

University Counseling and Testing Center

  ^ TOP

Many important decisions and situations will confront students while they are at Western Michigan University. They will need to make decisions regarding courses, curricula, and career exploration. They may become involved in social and personal situations that leave them feeling confused and upset. In addition, it may be likely that the inherent stresses of university life will, at some time, interfere with academic achievement and personal growth. The University Counseling and Testing Center, located on the main floor of the Faunce Student Services Building, exists to help students deal effectively with such concerns.

The Center is staffed with professionally licensed counselors and psychologists and is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services.

Counseling and Testing Center services consist of the following:

Personal Counseling to assist individuals in better understanding themselves and the emotional conflicts that may interfere with their everyday lives as students, to help them become more aware of alternative means of coping with conflicts, and to aid them in developing more satisfying and fulfilling lifestyles.

Educational Counseling to help students deal with conflicts concerning vocational planning and educational goals.

Career Counseling and Testing to provide students with the resources, skills, and experiences necessary for reasonable educational and career choices. Individual and group activities are offered to (1) increase self-understanding, including insights into one’s interests, values, abilities, and skills; (2) learn how to acquire information about careers; (3) review choices, make decisions, and establish plans of action; and (4) test the feasibility of individual plans by experiencing the reality of the working world.

The Career Exploration/Media Center contains a wide and varied selection of printed materials with an emphasis on self-understanding, career exploration and preparation, occupational information, and job trends. Included is a section of college and university catalogs, educational guides, and computer-aided guidance and information pertinent to career awareness.

Training and Internship Programs for graduate students from the Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology, the Department of Psychology, and pre-doctoral psychology interns from other accredited universities are available. Included in the training experience are case consultations, supervision of treatment sessions, didactic presentations and professional growth opportunities. The American Psychological Association has accredited the Center’s predoctoral internship program in professional psychology.

National Standardized Testing is conducted by the University Counseling and Testing Center. The following tests are regularly offered: ACT, LSAT, GRE (subject exam), TOEFL and CHES. Standardized testing information is available at the Center.

Test Scanning Services (optical scanning) using NCS Pearson equipment for classroom exams and research data analysis is provided to the University community and greater Kalamazoo area. Information about scanning services, including fees, is available at (269) 387-1850.

The Counseling and Testing Center is committed to the need for confidentiality in client/counselor communications. Therefore, confidentiality of client information is maintained in a manner consistent with professional standards of ethical practice and conduct and legislative requirements in the state of Michigan. Copies of the Counseling and Testing Center Policy on Confidentiality may be obtained at the Center’s reception desk.

Appointments may be requested by telephone (269-387-1850) or by stopping at the Counseling and Testing Center (2513 Faunce Student Services Building) reception desk between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Website: www.uctc.wmich.edu

The Center attempts to service as many students as possible within staffing limitations.

University Libraries

  ^ TOP

Waldo Library, the main library at Western Michigan University, was built in 1958, expanded in 1967, and then extensively renovated and expanded in 1991. The Library is named after Dwight B. Waldo, the University’s first president. In addition to Waldo Library, the University Libraries includes four branch libraries. The Education Library, in Sangren Hall, has over 733,400 items and receives more than 600 periodical titles. The Music and Dance Library, in the Dalton Center, houses over 50,200 books, musical scores, and periodicals, as well as over 20,000 audio and video recordings. The Archives and Regional History Collections Library, in East Hall on the East Campus, collects unique materials about the history of Southwest Michigan and the official records of the University. The Visual Resources Library, located in Sangren Hall, houses a collection of over 105,900 slides, most of which relate to the fine arts.

Each of these libraries supports teaching and research in disciplines related to the materials collected. Thus Waldo Library has resources and services supporting the University’s undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, fine arts, business, health and human services, social sciences, science, and engineering. University Libraries as a whole holds more than 4,456,200 volumes. Electronic books and journals number more than 80,000.

The major purpose of the University Libraries is to take an active role in the educational process at the University, and to provide facilities, materials, and an environment which will not only support the students’ educational progress but also will encourage them to develop the habit of self-education.

Visit the Libraries’ web page (http://www.wmich.edu/library) for more information about services and a listing of available databases and electronic resources.

University Recreation

  ^ TOP

Student Recreation Center
(269) 387-4732

The Student Recreation Center (SRC) is a student-oriented, multi-use facility programmed, staffed, and financed by Western Michigan University Students. Recreational, educational, and health promotion programs are provided for the benefit of all WMU students, faculty, staff, spouses, emeriti and alumni facility members. The facility includes an 8,000 square foot fitness/weight room, a recreational pool with attached swirl pool and saunas, a 45’ climbing wall, indoor jogging track, basketball courts, volleyball and badminton courts, indoor tennis courts, 9 racquetball courts, aerobics room, 2 multipurpose gyms and fitness testing laboratory.

The SRC is equipped with a state-of-the-art electronic security system to help protect our student-funded facility from vandalism and to ensure that all users are properly authorized. Only ID cards belonging to individuals who have paid the facility fee may gain access and take advantage of programs and services.

Informal Recreation

Informal recreation permits individual choice of activity. Various facilities are available on a drop-in or reservation basis including basketball courts, volleyball courts, racquetball courts, tennis courts, squash court, indoor and outdoor tracks, fitness/weight room, and swimming pool. Other open recreation opportunities include badminton, table tennis, climbing wall, and wallyball. Equipment for various activities may be checked out with a valid ID card from the SRC Service Desk.

Outdoor Recreation

University Recreation also provides a lighted, competition-style outdoor track, tennis courts, soccer fields, intramural fields and a sand volleyball court. Selected outdoor equipment may be available for checkout with a valid ID card from the SRC Service Desk.

Intramural Sports

Intramural Sports are available for students, faculty, staff, and members of the SRC who are interested in competitive activities. The program offers both team and individual sports, including basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, ice hockey, flag football, tennis, racquetball, in-line hockey, and much more. Intramurals provide opportunities for individuals to participate in sports experiences that will help them to develop team building and leadership skills. Opportunities for leadership are available for students who wish to officiate contests.

Fitness Programs

University Recreation offers a variety of aerobics classes to meet your fitness needs. Motivating, enthusiastic, and energy packed instructors will lead you in classes that consist of a variety of cardiovascular activity, strengthening, flexibility, and relaxation exercises designed to meet the needs of all fitness levels. Passes are necessary for admission to all classes. Additionally, completion of the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) is required prior to initial participation.

Fitness Weight Room

Located in the SRC, the 8,000 square foot fitness/weight room contains a full line of variable resistance weight machines and free weights, computerized exercise bicycles, stair climbers, rowers, and elliptical machines. Personal Trainers are available to instruct on proper use of the equipment and to provide exercise training guidelines to meet personal goals.

Climbing Wall

The Climbing Wall is designed to challenge and teach participants about the unique sport of indoor climbing. The wall is a top-rope system where climbers are harnessed in for safety. SRC members can come feel the excitement of scaling a 45-foot wall. Participants may also complete a climbing clinic to learn proper harnessing and belaying techniques.

For more information on services and specific days and times of programs, pick up a SRC Program Guide or call 387-4REC. Current information may also be found on the web at www.src.wmich.edu.

Veterans’ Assistance

  ^ TOP

The Office of the Registrar, on the third floor of the Administration Building certifies students under the G.I. Bill and its extensions. The Veterans’ Certification Officer will assist any person who seeks certification, or application, to the Veterans Administration under applicable programs.

Students who wish to receive V.A. benefits must annually file a “V.A. Certification Information Card” outlining plans for enrollment for the coming year. Students are certified on the basis of attendance and academic progress toward a declared degree. Address changes are also to be reported to the Veterans’ Certification Officer as soon as possible.

In addition to normal scholarship standards, students receiving benefits from the Veterans Administration are advised of their additional rights and responsibilities.

The Veterans’ Certification Officer may be reached in the Office of the Registrar at (269) 387-4115.

Returning Veterans Tuition Assistance (RVTA)

Veterans leaving active duty military service and beginning or returning to school often have a difficult time paying their tuition in the first semester. Financial aid eligibility is reduced by the amount of VA benefits the students will receive, and the payment of benefits can often by delayed for a few months. This creates a cash flow problem for the students and covering living expenses as well a tuition is a significant burden.

With this difficulty in mind, Western Michigan University will support veterans by providing tuition assistance in their first semester after release from active duty. The Returning Veterans Tuition Assistance program (RVTA) will cover all tuition charges not covered by other tuition-specific programs such as ROTC, SERP, ACES, Chapter 31 benefits, or any other tuition benefit. Students discharged from active duty for purposes other than training within six months of the beginning of class will be eligible to apply for this benefit in their first semester after entering or returning to WMU. The student must be eligible for VA benefits, and may only receive RVTA one time. In addition, returning veterans who meet the eligibility criteria for RVTA will be classified as Michigan residents for tuition purposes after their first semester.

Questions should be directed to the Veterans’ Certification Officer in the Registrar’s Office or the Financial Aid Office.

Writing Center

  ^ TOP

The Writing Center is part of the Center for Academic Support Programs. It provides writing assistance for students, faculty, staff, and other members of the WMU community.

The Writing Center exists for all WMU students (graduate and undergraduate) who choose to work on their writing. Because writing is such a complex act, students often concentrate on particular aspects of writing with each visit. They may work with a tutor on organization or focus; they may want to hone their style or find new ways to come up with topics or ideas for development; they may also work on the conventions of English.

To accommodate the needs of many students, the Writing Center offers two different types of appointments. Most popular is the drop-in appointment, available on Sunday evenings in the library, which allows students to see a tutor immediately. Most students, however, should schedule appointments in advance or set up a regular weekly appointment with the same tutor. Students may choose to have a report sent to their instructors detailing their visit. The Writing Center tutors are glad to work with students on their papers; however, they will not copyedit or proofread papers for educational purposes.

The Writing Center also provides workshops on writing with sources and on proofreading techniques. For answers to quick questions about writing, call the Writers’ Hotline at 387-4615 or send e-mail to (writing-center@wmich.edu).

The Writing Center is located in Room 1039 Moore Hall; telephone 387-4615.


  ^ TOP