The secondary teacher preparation program complies with Guidelines for the Certification of Teachers of History established by the American Historical Association.
1. Minimum of 36 hours in history selected from categories listed below.
2. Minimum grade of “C” in all course work required for the major, including required cognates.
3. Completion of 15 credit hours of required cognates.
4. All course work at the 3000/4000-level must be completed within 10 years of intern teaching.
5. At least one approved history course (3 hours) exploring diversity in U.S. society. Select from: HIST 3160, 3191, 3251, 3260, 3265, 3280, or 3285. Some 4000-level baccalaureate writing course may meet this requirement.
6. At least two (6 hours) “writing-intensive” courses at the 3000-level. (See the list below.)
7. With permission of the advisor, students may substitute advanced level (4000-level) history courses for intermediate level (3000-level) courses in the same topical area, providing the student has the appropriate prerequisite.