The secondary teacher preparation program complies with Guidelines for the Certification of Teachers of History established by the American Historical Association.
1. Minimum of 36 hours in history selected from categories listed below.
2. Minimum grade of “C” in all course work required for the major, including required cognates.
3. Completion of 15 credit hours of required cognates.
4. All course work at the 3000/4000-level must be completed within 10 years of intern teaching.
5. At least one approved history course (3 hours) exploring diversity in U.S. society. Select from: HIST 3160, 3191, 3251, 3260, 3265, 3280, or 3285. Some 4000-level baccalaureate writing course may meet this requirement.
6. One (3 hour) “writing-intensive” courses at the 3000-level. (See list of courses below.)
7. With permission of the advisor, students may substitute advanced level (4000-level) history courses for intermediate level (3000-level) courses in the same topical area, providing the student has the appropriate prerequisite.
8. Completion of at least 9 hours of courses at the 4000-level, with at least one course in the premodern category and one course in the modern category. One course (3 hours) at the 4000-level must be Baccalaureate Writing. One course (3 hours) must be HIST 4940: Teaching Methods for Secondary Schools.