1. Minimum of 63 hours in history and approved electives from other departments selected from categories listed below.
2. Minimum grade of “C” in all course work required for the major, including electives and required cognates.
3. Completion of at least 3 hours of “writing-intensive” courses at the 3000-level. (See list of courses below).
4. With permission of the advisor, students may substitute advanced (4000-level) history courses for intermediate level (3000-level) courses in the same chronological category, providing the student has the appropriate prerequisite.
5. Completion of one (3 hour) 4000-level Baccalaureate Writing course.
6. Completion of three required 4000-level Public History courses.
7. No minor required.
1. Introductory level history courses (9 hours)
Choose one of the following:
2. Intermediate level history courses
15 hours, including 3 credit hours of writing-intensive courses (See list of courses below). HIST 3404 is required and one course must be chosen from either HIST 3150 or HIST 3180. In addition, at least one (3 credit hour) course must be from the premodern category and one (3 credit hour) from the modern category.
3. Advanced level history courses (6 hours)
One 4000-level Baccalaureate Writing course is required. One 4000-level course must be from the premodern category and one from the modern category. Baccalaureate Writing courses are designed “(BW)” in the online schedule of classes.
4000-level prerequisite: one 3000-level writing intensive course or instructor approval.
4. Public History core courses (9 hours):
5. Electives (18 hours)
Consult the History Advising Office and Undergraduate Handbook for approved elective courses from other departments that meet this requirement.
6. Internship (6 hours)
Students must confer with the Public History Internship Supervisor before registering for internship credit.
7. Cognate requirement (8 hours)
Completion of a foreign language through the 1010 level (or equivalency) by University course work or examination.