The Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Arts Technology - Music is designed to prepare students for career opportunities in audio engineering, multimedia content creation, sound reinforcement, computer programming for multimedia projects, and technology-based performance. Students in this degree receive intensive, hands-on instruction and experience utilizing state-of-the-art electronic equipment and labs.
Admission procedures for the B.S. MAT - Music include:
- An application to the University during the initial filing period;
- An application to the School of Music including a letter outlining the student’s background, interests, and goals.
- Attending a School of Music New Student Admissions Day to:
- complete an interview with Multimedia Arts Technology faculty (including submission of a portfolio and brief performance)
- complete the theory testing for placement
- attend informational sessions at the School of Music.
Visit www.wmich.edu/multimedia/apply or consult with Music’s Undergraduate Advisor for additional application details.
Prospective or current WMU students may apply to the B.S. MAT major a maximum of two times. Qualified students will initially be admitted to the program with the designation pre-MAT based on the following criteria:
- The extent to which their goals are in line with the program goals.
- The extent to which their knowledge and background supports achieving these goals.
- Available space in the program.
To matriculate from pre-MAT to the MAT-major, students must:
- Earn a grade of “C” or better for all courses taken to fulfill major course requirements.
- Complete MUS 1590 or MUS 1600, MUS 1940, MUS 1945, MUS 1950, MUS 2220, and MUS 2240 with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher for those courses. These courses must be completed during a student’s first two semesters as a pre-MAT student.
At the end of student’s 2nd semester as pre-MAT, each pre-MAT student will be evaluated based on the above criteria. The outcome of these evaluations will be:
- MAT major: The student successfully met the criteria and is now a MAT-major.
- Probation: Students who are close to meeting the above criteria can retake certain classes the following two semesters in order to meet the criteria. If a student is successful in meeting the above criteria upon retaking classes, then the student is a MAT-major. If not successful, the student is in category 3 below.
- Rejection: For students who clearly do not meet the above criteria or who fail to improve within one year of being placed on probation, the student is no longer pre-MAT and can not take additional courses towards the MAT-major. Students in this category can re-apply to the School of Music to be reconsidered for admission.