Oct 04, 2023  
Graduate Catalog 2009-10 
Graduate Catalog 2009-10 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University and Student Services

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Complete and current information about University and Student Services may be obtained by visiting the University’s Web site (http://www.wmich.edu/). The services listed below are only a portion of those offered by the University to students, alumni, staff, and visitors.


  ^ TOP

The University Archives and Regional History Collections is located in East Hall, Room 111. Staff collect, preserve, and make accessible records documenting the history of the University and of twelve southwestern Michigan counties. Holdings include: books, ephemera, newspapers, microfilm, photographs, oral history tapes, and manuscript collections. In addition, local public records from southwestern Michigan are on deposit from the Archives of Michigan.

Athletics, Intercollegiate

  ^ TOP

The University is represented by men’s teams in football, baseball, basketball, tennis, ice hockey, and soccer. Women’s teams represent the University in basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, softball, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, soccer, and volleyball. Represented by the athletics mascot “Buster Bronco”, WMU Athletics keeps every Bronco fan up to date through the official athletics wed site, www.wmubroncos.com.

Athletics are governed by the Athletic Board, which adheres to the policies and principles established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Mid-American Conference (MAC) and Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA). Western Michigan University is a member of the Mid-American Conference in all sports but Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey members are WMU, Bowling Green, Miami of Ohio, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan State University, University of Michigan, Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, Omaha Nebraska, Alaska, and Ferris State. Other members of the Mid-American Conference are Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo and Temple in the sport of football.

Career and Student Employment Services

  ^ TOP

The Office of Career and Student Employment Services advises students regarding skill development, exploring career options and obtaining professional employment upon graduation. Services include: advising by appointment and drop-in hours at various locations on campus, web-based employment listings and resources related to part-time employment, internship and full-time opportunities, on-campus interviewing, career fairs and integration of relevant career programs into existing courses throughout the university. Career program topics address current issues related to linking majors to occupational fields, interviewing, speaker panels, resume writing and job search strategies.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (269) 387-2745. The Office is located on first floor of Ellsworth Hall.www.broncojobs.wmich.edu

Children’s Place Learning Center

  ^ TOP

The Children’s Place Learning Center, located in the middle of campus at 2210 Wilbur, is open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. weekdays. The convenient location and flexible care schedules make the center an attractive child-care option for WMU faculty, staff, and students. Children 18 months to 9 years old and toilet trained may be enrolled full-time, part-time, or hourly. Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are included in the tuition and are provided by WMU Dining Services. A full vegetarian menu is available each day.

The Children’s Place philosophy emphasizes child-initiated learning within a culturally diverse community. The program nurtures and supports the development of children by providing developmentally appropriate activities which address each child’s need for fun, creativity, active play, communication skills, problem solving, social interaction, rest and nutrition. The program is licensed by the State of Michigan and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). For more information and an application call (269) 387-2277 or visit www.wmich.edu/childrensplace.

Disabled Student Resources and Services

  ^ TOP

Disabled Student Resources and Services assists Western Michigan University students with disabilities as they seek to find effective accommodations, maximize their abilities and gain independence. DSRS offers advocacy, registration assistance, readers/scribes for tests and other classroom accommodations, textbooks in alternate formats, accessibility information, transportation information including Bronco Transit and Metro-van, adaptive equipment, and referral to other campus and community agencies. The website is http://dsrs.wmich.edu.

The office can be reached by calling (269) 387-2116.


  ^ TOP

Western Michigan University students may live on or off campus. Two options exist on-campus, the residence halls and WMU Apartments, and both deliver tremendous value to their residents. Besides the convenience of living in the heart of campus, studies show students who live on campus adjust better and are more successful academically than those who live off campus. For these reasons, students should carefully consider the benefits of on-campus housing when choosing where to live. Utilities, cable TV, and local phone service are included in housing costs.

Your residence hall application will be sent upon admission to Western Michigan University. An apartment application may be submitted before you are officially admitted to the University. The application date is the basis for assignment and the probability of an assignment increases with early application.

WMU Residence Halls

For information contact the Residence Life Office, 3510 Faunce Student Services Building, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5312. Telephone: (269) 387-4735. Fax: (269) 387-4786. E-mail: RL-staff@wmich.edu Web site: www.wmich.edu/housing.

WMU Apartments

For more information contact the WMU Apartment Office, 3506 Faunce Student Services Building, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5079. Telephone:  (269) 387-2175. Fax (269) 387-2880.  Web site: www.wmich.edu/apartments.

Office of Information Technology

  ^ TOP

The Office of Information Technology provides video, voice, and data services for the WMU community. This includes provisioning the Bronco NetID, which gives students access to the GoWMU portal for course registration, e-learning, e-mail, financial aid, and other resources. OIT also manages and maintains the data network for Internet access and the campus telephone system. OIT operates the public computing labs in the Bernhard Center and in the University Computing Center, located in the heart of the main campus. For more information, go to www.wmich.edu/oit.

International Programs and Services

  ^ TOP

Western Michigan University annually hosts over a thousand international students and has a long tradition of international involvement across all colleges. Commitment to continued expansion of our international dimension is included in the university mission statement. The “international” key on the university’s World Wide Web home page will take you to a comprehensive directory of international programs and services. Offices that administer international programs and services are conveniently located together in Ellsworth Hall.

Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education

Donald McCloud, Dean
B2425 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245
Telephone: (269) 387-5890; FAX (269) 387-0630
E-mail: dhi-dept@wmich.edu

The Haenicke Institute (HIGE) collaborates with colleges, departments, and interdisciplinary programs to promote global, international, and area studies throughout Western Michigan University. The Institute houses designated centers and offices devoted to international education

International Services and Student Affairs

Ms. Rebecca Solomon, Director
A411 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5246
Telephone: (269) 387-5866; FAX (269) 387-5899
E-mail: oiss.info@wmich.edu

HIGE International Services and Student Affairs handles admissions and special needs for international students. Services include:

  • Processing of applications for admission
  • Immigration advising
  • Orientation program for newly arrived international students
  • Assistance with housing arrangements
  • Coordination of international student organizations and activities
  • Liaison between international students and financial sponsors
  • Personal and social counseling

International students interested in seeking admission to Western Michigan University may access application information and an online or printable application at:http://international.wmich.edu/old/cms/oiss_appstart/index.php

Career English Language Center for International Students (CELCIS)

Ms. Kim Cho
0530 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5223
Telephone: (269) 387-4800; FAX (269) 387-4806
E-mail: celcis_info@wmich.edu

The Career English Language Center for International Students (CELCIS) provides intensive English language instruction for prospective students who need further training in order to qualify for admission to Western Michigan University. Holders of F-1 visas in the CELCIS program must be enrolled full-time; resident aliens and holders of F-2 visas may attend CELCIS programs on a part-time basis.

CELCIS classes at various levels include: speaking and listening comprehension, grammar, academic reading and vocabulary building, academic writing, and research paper writing. Extra-curricular activities include monthly social hours, conversation partners, home visits, and various social, sport, and cultural programs.

CELCIS operates four terms per year: two fifteen-week terms (fall and spring), and two seven-week terms (summer I and II). University Counseling and Testing Center offers the institutional TOEFL at the conclusion of each term. CELCIS issues the Certificate of Eligibility for a visa (Form I-20 or IAP-66) specifically for admission to CELCIS programs. Admission to CELCIS does not imply admission to WMU’s Graduate College or to a degree program.

Contact the CELCIS office for application materials, or access information and forms online at: http://international.wmich.edu/content/view/520/306

Study Abroad

B2425 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245
Telephone: (269) 387-5890; FAX (269) 387-0630
E-mail: study-abroad@wmich.edu

Study Abroad offers more than 60 study programs varying in length from a few weeks to a full academic year and access to hundreds of non-WMU study abroad providers to destinations in 35 countries. Programs are available for undergraduates and graduates in a broad spectrum of disciplines for an academic year, one semester, or summer terms. Competitive scholarships and grants are available, such as the President’s Grant for Study Abroad that offers up to $9,000 for foreign-language students seeking an overseas language-intensive experience.

Graduate students who undertake study abroad programs, or conduct individualized research, field studies, internships or other experiences outside the United States that carry WMU academic credit, and/or under the direct auspices of WMU faculty, must register with the Study Abroad.

Study Abroad also provides a number of important services to WMU students preparing to study, intern, or do research outside the United States. Services include orientation programs, insurance procedures, and current information about conditions in countries of destination. Study Abroad maintains an extensive research area and databases on programs offered by other colleges and universities. The office also serves as a contact point between WMU students overseas and the university.

Multicultural Affairs, The Division of

  ^ TOP

The Division of Multicultural Affairs (DMA) mission is to provide support in the recruitment, retention, and graduation of diverse students through programs and services that will enhance their learning experiences, build new relationships, and prepare them to successfully interact in a multicultural world.

DMA initiates and coordinates cultural programming and facilitates opportunities for learning and personal development for all students at Western Michigan University. The Division’s acitivities are designed to define and positively react to diverse student’s needs. By doing so, students are ensured the greatest opportunity for a successful and relevant educational experience.

For information, call (269) 387-4420, visit the office in Ellsworth Hall, or visit the website www.multicultural.wmich.edu.

Online Education

  ^ TOP

In order to meet the varying needs of today’s learners, Online Education (formerly known as Academic Technology and Instuctional Services or ATIS) offers a broad spectrum of courses and programs via multiple e-learning technologies. Through Online Education, Western Michigan University provides access to high-quality education for those unable to travel to campus, yet who want access to educational opportunities. Courses are offered through Online Education in the following modalities:

  • Compresses video-interactive television (CVIT)

  • Online (which includes open learning)

  • Mixed mode or hybrid solution in which some class meetings are face-to-face or CVIT and some class work is completed on line.

Along with acting as a first line of student and faculty support for e-learning courses, Online Education provides additional services such as instructional design assistance to faculty, technical support for students, on-campus testing, and coordination of test proctoring arrangements.

Dr. Craig Kaml
Associate Dean, Online Education
1260 Ellsworth Hall
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
(269) 387-2847


Parking and Vehicle Registration

  ^ TOP

Detailed regulations concerning the use of motor vehicles on campus is available from the Department of Public Safety’s Parking Services. All students are eligible to park a motor vehicle on University property; however, they must first register their motor vehicle, motorcycle, and/or moped with the Parking Services and pay a registration fee. Information concerning parking regulations, parking permits, and parking violations can be obtained by visiting Parking Services located at 2507 West Michigan Avenue (at the corner of West Michigan and Knollwood) or by telephoning (269) 387-4609 Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.. Visit our web page at www.parking.wmich.edu for complete rules and sticker prices.


  ^ TOP

Located at 511 Monroe Street, off the 1300 block of West Michigan Ave., the Department of Public Safety is open 24 hours a day, providing a full range of police services through the use of a uniformed patrol division, a detective division, and a communications center. The Department of Public Safety is responsible for investigating all crimes and accidents occurring on University property and is committed to providing an environment conducive to the education of the students at Western Michigan University. Towards that goal, the department’s various divisions and bureaus have coordinated their efforts to create and maintain a feeling of security and safety within the University community. Information can be obtained by visiting the office, telephoning (269) 387-5555 or 911 in an emergency.


  ^ TOP

Western Herald (www.westernherald.com), WMU’s independent student newspaper, is published Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays during the fall and spring semesters, Mondays and Thursdays during the summer I session, and Wednesdays during the summer II session. The Western Herald is 100 percent self-supporting, generating the majority of its revenue through advertising sales. All positions on the paper are filled by students with the exception of the general manager/advisor.

Western News is the official publication for administration, faculty, and staff members. It is published every other Thursday during fall and spring semesters and summer I session by the Office of University Relations. The office also produces WMU News, an online new source that is updated daily and can be found at www.wmich.edu/wmu/news, as well as the Western Michigan University Magazine which is published quarterly and distributed to alumni, donors, friends and members of the University community.


  ^ TOP

WMUK is owned and operated by Western Michigan University and broadcasts in HD with an effective power of 50,000 watts at 102.1. The station is a non-profit public radio station and charter member of both National Public Radio and the Michigan Public Radio Network as well as an affiliate of American Public Media and Public Radio International. The station broadcasts to an area 80 miles in radius, including most of the southwestern corner of Michigan. Listeners can also hear WMUK over the Internet at www.wmuk.org.

WMUK provides a cultural extension of the area through its broadcast of campus, community, and area events. The station has built an enviable reputation in classical, bluegrass, and jazz music programming, as well as programming for Spanish-speaking audiences..

The majority of WMUK funding comes from Western Michigan University and listener support. Additional funds are provided by local underwriters and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

WIDR-FM, a 100-watt station operated by students, broadcasts on 89.1. Facilities of WIDR-FM are located in 1501 Faunce Student Services Building. WIDR-FM offers a unique opportunity for Western Michigan University students to gain experience in programming, promotion, and station operation. For more information, please visit the Web site at www.widr.org.

Sindecuse Health Center

  ^ TOP

Accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), the Sindecuse Health Center is a student-oriented medical facility that exists to assist the University community members to achieve and maintain their optimal health status. As a student attending Western Michigan University, you have access to high-quality, convenient health care through our many professional services. Our entire staff works as a team to assist you with your health care and health education needs. For a complete explanation of services, visit the Center’s Web site at www.sindecuse.com

Important Phone Numbers
Appointments (269) 387-3290
Information (269) 387-3287
Insurance Information (269) 387-3266
Pharmacy (269) 387-3301
Phone Nurse (269) 387-3288
Health Promotion/Health Info (269) 387-3263
Sports Medicine Clinic (269) 387-3248
HIV Antibody Testing (269) 387-4HIV
Social Work (269) 387-4623
Diagnostic Services (269) 387-3245

Speech, Language, and Hearing Services

  ^ TOP

The Charles Van Riper Language, Speech, and Hearing Clinic is a service program provided by the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology for persons with communication disorders. It is located in the Unified Clinics at University Medical and Health Sciences Center, 1000 Oakland Drive. Students may take advantage of diagnostic and therapeutic services by contacting the Clinic for an appointment. Telephone: 387-8047.

Student Activities and Leadership Programs

  ^ TOP

The mission of the Student Activities and Leadership Programs is to enhance student learning and personal development by engaging students in educationally purposeful academic and social activities. 

Student Activities and Leadership Programs has registered over 300 student organizations at WMU representing a diverse range of interests. We welcome you as a valued member of our community and are excited to be a part of your learning and personal development.

For detailed information, visit the Web site at www.salp.wmich.edu or visit the office, 2420 Faunce Student Services Building.

Telephone Directory

  ^ TOP

The WMU Faculty/Staff/Student Telephone Directory is published annually by the Office of University Relations. It is distributed during early November, without charge, to students in residence halls and family housing units, and is available at the University Computing Center.

Individual listings in the WMU Student Directory contain the following information:

  1. Name
  2. Curriculum
  3. Local address and telephone number
  4. Home address

Students wishing to exclude any or all of the above information from the WMU Student Directory (printed and electronic) must fill out a Directory Exclusion Form in Room 3210, Seibert Administration Building, during the first five days of classes fall semester. During spring, summer I, and summer II terms, students may restrict this information to academic use by filling out the Directory Exclusion Form during the first five days of classes.

Substance Abuse Services

  ^ TOP

For alcohol and substance abuse services and referrals, please contact the University Counseling and Testing Center (269) 387-1850, 2513 Faunce Services Building between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Services for students are free unless they are court ordered. Requests for court ordered services are referred to the University Substance Abuse Clinic, located in the Unified Clinics (telephone: (269) 387-8230, 1000 Oakland Drive, 3rd Floor). For directions to the building go to www.pp.wmich.edu/buildings/017.html. Students are encouraged to make appointments by visiting or calling the appropriate office directly.

University Counseling and Testing Center

  ^ TOP

Many important decisions and situations will confront students while they are at Western Michigan University. They will need to make decisions regarding courses, curricula, and career exploration. They may become involved in social and personal situations that leave them feeling confused and upset. In addition, it may be likely that the inherent stresses of university life will, at some time, interfere with academic achievement and personal growth. The University Counseling and Testing Center, located on the main floor of the Faunce Student Services Building, exists to help students deal effectively with such concerns.

The Center is staffed with professionally licensed counselors and psychologists and is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services.

Counseling and Testing Center services consist of the following:

Personal Counseling to assist individuals in better understanding themselves and the emotional conflicts that may interfere with their everyday lives as students, to help them become more aware of alternative means of coping with conflicts, and to aid them in developing more satisfying and fulfilling lifestyles.

Educational Counseling to help students deal with conflicts concerning vocational planning and educational goals.

Career Counseling and Testing to provide students with the resources, skills, and experiences necessary for reasonable educational and career choices. Individual and group activities are offered to (1) increase self-understanding, including insights into one’s interests, values, abilities, and skills; (2) learn how to acquire information about careers; (3) review choices, make decisions, and establish plans of action; and (4) test the feasibility of individual plans by experiencing the reality of the working world.

The Career Exploration/Media Center contains a wide and varied selection of printed materials with an emphasis on self-understanding, career exploration and preparation, occupational information, and job trends. Included is a section of college and university catalogs, educational guides, and computer-aided guidance and information pertinent to career awareness. An extensive collection of professional test material is also available for student/faculty review.

Training and Internship Programs for graduate students from the Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology, the Department of Psychology and pre-doctoral psychology interns from other accredited universities are available. Included in the training experience are case consultations, supervision of treatment sessions, didactic presentations and professional growth opportunities. The American Psychological Association has accredited the Center’s predoctoral internship program in professional psychology.

National Standardized Testing is conducted by the University Counseling and Testing Center. The following tests are regularly offered: ACT, LSAT, GRE (subject exam), TOEFL, CHES. Standardized testing information is available at the Center; call (269) 387-1872.

Test Scanning Services (optical scanning) using NCS Oearson equipment, for classroom exams and research data analysis is provided to the University community and greater Kalamazoo area. Information about scanning services, including fees, is available at (269) 387-3910.

The Counseling and Testing Center is committed to the need for confidentiality in client/counselor communications. Therefore, confidentiality of client information is maintained in a manner consistent with professional standards of ethical practice and conduct and legislative requirements in the state of Michigan. Copies of the Counseling and Testing Center Policy on Confidentiality may be obtained at the Center’s reception desk.

Appointments may be requested by telephone (269-387-1850) or by stopping at the Counseling and Testing Center (2513 Faunce Student Services Building) reception desk between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Students unable to utilize the Center’s services during regular hours may make requests for evening appointments. Web site:  www.uctc.wmich.edu

The Center attempts to service as many students as possible within staffing limitations.

University Libraries

  ^ TOP

Waldo Library, the main library at Western Michigan University, was built in 1958, expanded in 1967, and then extensively renovated and expanded in 1991. The Library is named after Dwight B. Waldo, the University’s first president. In addition to Waldo Library, the University Libraries includes four branch libraries. The Education Library, in Sangren Hall, has over 733,400 items and receives more than 600 periodical titles. The Music and Dance Library, in the Dalton Center, houses over 50,200 books, musical scores, and periodicals, as well as over 20,000 audio and video recordings. The Archives and Regional History Collections Library, in East Hall on the East Campus, collects unique materials about the history of Southwest Michigan and the official records of the University. The Visual Resources Library, located in Sangren Hall, houses a collection of over 105,900 slides, most of which relate to the fine arts.

Each of these libraries supports teaching and research in disciplines related to the materials collected. Thus Waldo Library has resources and services supporting the University’s undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, fine arts, business, health and human services, social sciences, science, and engineering. University Libraries as a whole holds more than 4,456,200 volumes. Electronic books and journals number more than 80,000.

The major purpose of the University Libraries is to take an active role in the educational process at the University, and to provide facilities, materials, and an environment which will not only support the students’ educational progress but also will encourage them to develop the habit of self-education.

Visit the Libraries’ Web page (http://www.wmich.edu/library) for more information about services and a listing of available databases and electronic resources.

University Recreation

  ^ TOP

Student Recreation Center
(269) 387-4732

The Student Recreation Center (SRC) is a student-oriented, multi-use facility programmed, staffed, and financed by Western Michigan University students. Recreational, educational, and health promotion programs are provided for the benefit of all WMU students, faculty, staff, spouses, emeriti and alumni facility members. The facility includes an 8,000 square foot fitness/weight room, a recreational pool with attached swirl pool and saunas, a 45’ climbing wall, indoor jogging track, basketball courts, volleyball and badminton courts, indoor tennis courts, 9 racquetball courts, aerobics room, 2 multipurpose gyms, and cycling room.

The SRC is equipped with a state-of-the-art electronic security system to help protect our student-funded facility from vandalism and to ensure that all users are properly authorized. Only ID cards belonging to individuals who have paid the facility fee may gain access and take advantage of programs and services.

Informal Recreation
Informal recreation permits individual choice of activity. Various facilities are available on a drop-in or reservation basis including basketball courts, volleyball courts, racquetball courts, tennis courts, squash court, indoor and outdoor tracks, fitness/weight room, and swimming pool. Other open recreation opportunities include badminton, table tennis, climbing wall, and wallyball. Equipment for various activities may be checked out with a valid ID card from the SRC Service Desk.

Outdoor Recreation
University Recreation also provides a lighted, competition-style outdoor track, tennis courts, soccer fields, intramural fields and a sand volleyball court. Selected outdoor equipment may be available for checkout with a valid ID card from the SRC Service Desk.

Intramural Sports
Intramural Sports are available for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the SRC who are interested in competitive activities. The program offers both team and individual sports, including basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, ice hockey, flag football, tennis, racquetball, in-line hockey, and much more. Intramurals provide opportunities for individuals to participate in sports experiences that will help them to develop team building and leadership skills. Opportunities for leadership are available for students who wish to officiate contests.

Fitness Programs
University Recreation offers a variety of aerobics classes to meet fitness needs of participants. Motivating, enthusiastic, and energy packed instructors will lead participants in classes that consist of a variety of cardiovascular activity, strengthening, flexibility, and relaxation exercises designed to meet the needs of all fitness levels. Passes are necessary for admission to all classes. Additionally, completion of the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) is required prior to initial participation.

Fitness Weight Room
Located in the SRC, the 8,000 square foot fitness/weight room contains a full line of variable resistance weight machines, treadmills, and free weights, computerized exercise bicycles, stair climbers, rowers, and elliptical machines. Personal Trainers are available to instruct on proper use of the equipment and to provide exercise training guidelines to meet personal goals. Located by the indoor track are 45 cardio machines where participants can exercise and catch their favorite programs.

Climbing Wall
The WMU Climbing Wall is designed to challenge and teach participants about the unique sport of indoor climbing. The wall is a top-rope system where climbers are harnessed in for safety. SRC members can come feel the excitement of scaling a 45-foot wall. Participants may also complete a climbing clinic to learn proper harnessing and belaying techniques.

Sport Clubs
Students who wish to compete or learn a new sport can join Sport Clubs. These student run organizations, hold practices and compete against other schools. WMU offers everything from sailing, lacrosse, equestrian to ice hockey.

For more information on services and specific days and times of programs, pick up a SRC Program Guide or call (269) 387-4REC. Current information may also be found on the web at www.src.wmu.edu.

Veterans’ Assistance

  ^ TOP

The Office of the Registrar, on the third floor of the Administration Building certifies students under the G.I. Bill and its extensions. The Veterans’ Certification Officer will assist any person who seeks certification, or application, to the Veterans Administration under applicable programs.

Students who wish to receive V.A. benefits must annually file a “V.A. Certification Information Card” outlining plans for enrollment for the coming year. Students are certified on the basis of attendance and academic progress toward a declared degree. Address changes are also to be reported to the Veterans’ Certification Officer as soon as possible.

In addition to normal scholarship standards, students receiving benefits from the Veterans Administration are advised of their additional rights and responsibilities.

The Veterans’ Certification Officer may be reached in the Office of the Registrar at (269) 387-4115.

Returning Veterans Tuition Assistance (RVTA)

Veterans leaving active military service and beginning or returning to school often have a difficult time paying their tuition in the first semester. Financial aid eligibility is reduced by the amount of VA benefits the student will receive, and the payment of benefits can often be delayed for a few months. This creates a cash flow problem for the student, and covering living expenses as well as tuition is a significant burden.

With this difficulty in mind, Western Michigan University will support veterans by providing tuition assistance in their first semester after release from active duty. The program, Returning Veterans Tuition Assistance (RVTA), will cover all tuition charges not covered by other tuition-specific programs such as ROTC, SERP, ACES, Chapter 31 benefits, or any other tuition benefit. Students discharged from active duty for purposes other than training within six months of the beginning of class will be eligible to apply for this benefit in their first semester after entering or returning to Western Michigan University. The student must be eligible for VA benefits, and may only receive RVTA one time.

Returning veterans who meet the eligibility criteria for RVTA will be classified as Michigan residents for tuition purposes after their first semester.

In-State Tuition for Active Duty Military Personnel and Their Dependents

Western will grant in-state tuition to active duty military members of the armed forces of the United States and their spouses and dependents, if the member of the armed forces is a Michigan resident (and has not established residency in another state) or is stationed in Michigan. In addition, once an active duty member of the armed forces or his/her spouse or dependent qualifies for in-state tuition, the in-state tuition will continue to be recognized as long as there is no change to their military or dependent status and the military member or their dependent is continually enrolled in the current degree program at the University.

For questions, contact the Veterans’ Certification Officer in the Office of the Registrar at (269) 387-4115.

Writing Center

  ^ TOP

The Writing Center, which is located at 1060 Moore Hall, helps graduate and undergraduate students improve their writing abilities. Our Writing Consultants, trained undergraduate, graduate students, and adjunct instructors, help students with any aspect of writing, including assignments from any class, employment search communications (resumes, cover letters, thank-you notes), scholarship essays, graduate school personal statements, dissertation chapters, PowerPoint presentations, etc. .

Typically, a consultant will meet with a student one-on-one so that the student may ask questions and get feedback on his/her individual work. Consultants also work with groups collaborating on projects, such as senior engineering, business class, or communication class teams. Some students also seek help getting started on a writing assignment or task; and some work with us to improve their essay test writing kills, lessen their writing phobia, develop proofreading skills, or improve their understanding of a particular documentation style (APA, MLA, Chicago Manual, etc.).

Each semester and summer session, students may register for 50-minute appointments, and they may request same time online tutoring, which involves Instant Messaging and e-mail. Students may also use our drop-in sessions, available in Waldo Library Sunday evenings from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. Our online registration and a short video explaining it are available at our Web site, www.wmich.edu/casp/writingcenter/. Once registered with us, students can arrange their appointments with us at www.rich17.com.wmich.index/php. If students refer, they can also call us at (269) 387-4615 to arrange an appointment or get directions

The Writing Center also provides workshops on writing, as requested by class instructors or organizations, and we train some consultants to work with instructors and their students in classes.

The Writing Center is part of the Center for Academic Support Programs; we ale always eager to help students learn more about writing.


  ^ TOP