Jun 16, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16 
Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University and Student Services

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Complete and current information about University and Student Services may be obtained by visiting the University’s website (http://www.wmich.edu/). The services listed below are only a portion of those offered by the University to students, alumni, staff, and visitors.


  ^ TOP

The University Archives and Regional History Collections are located in the Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center on the Oakland Drive Campus. Staff collect, preserve, and make accessible records documenting the history of the University and of twelve southwestern Michigan counties. Holdings include: books, ephemera, newspapers, microfilm, photographs, oral history tapes, and manuscript collections. In addition, local public records from southwestern Michigan are on deposit from the Archives of Michigan. The collections are open to researchers. Faculty, staff, and students may make appointments for assistance with research. Faculty may schedule instructional sessions. Call (269) 387-8490 for information.

Athletics, Intercollegiate

  ^ TOP

The University is represented by men’s teams in football, baseball, basketball, tennis, ice hockey, and soccer. Women’s teams represent the University in basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, softball, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, soccer, and volleyball. Represented by the athletics mascot “Buster Bronco”, WMU Athletics keeps every Bronco fan up to date through the official athletics website, www.wmubroncos.com.

Athletics are governed by the Athletic Board, which adheres to the policies and principles established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Mid-American Conference (MAC) and National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC). Western Michigan University is a member of the Mid-American Conference in all sports but Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey members are WMU, Colorado College, Denver, Miami (Ohio), Minnesota-Duluth, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota and St. Cloud State. Other members of the Mid-American Conference are Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, and UMass in the sport of football.

Career and Student Employment Services

  ^ TOP

Career and Student Employment Services advises students regarding skill development, exploring career options and obtaining experience through employment. Services include drop-in career advising at the Career Zone, job listings for part-time, internship and full-time employment. The office facilitates regular employer and alumni campus visits to participate in career fairs, visit classrooms and provide mock interviews for students. Staff conduct workshops and seminars addressing current job market issues, linking academics to career paths, finding an internship or trending job search strategies.

For more information visit the Career Zone, M-F 12-5 p.m., or to schedule an appointment, call (269) 387-2745. The office is located on first floor of Ellsworth Hall. www.wmich.edu/career.

Children’s Place Learning Center

  ^ TOP

The Children’s Place Learning Center, located in the middle of campus at 2210 Wilbur, is open from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. weekdays. The convenient location and flexible care schedules make the center an attractive child-care option for WMU faculty, staff, and students. Children 15 months to 12 years old may be enrolled full-time or part-time. Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are included in the tuition and are provided by WMU Dining Services. A full vegetarian menu is available each day.

The Children’s Place philosophy emphasizes child-initiated learning within a culturally diverse community. The program nurtures and supports the development of children by providing a developmental play-based curriculum focusing on the emerging skills of each child. The program provides an environment in which each child and family feels respected and accepted and creates a connection between home and school to meet the unique needs of the families. The program is licensed by the State of Michigan, and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and an approved site for the Great Start Readiness Program and Kalamazoo County Ready 4s. For more information and an application call (269) 387-2277 or visit www.wmich.edu/childcare.

Counseling Services

  ^ TOP

Counseling Services provides short-term individual, couples and group counseling for a diverse student population. The counseling process can help students learn skills to cope with problems and develop new ways of thinking, which may lead to a healthier and more fulfilling lifestyle. Your time at Western Michigan University may include stress, complicated decisions or challenging situations. Counselors help students identify challenges and make changes to manage the emotional and social difficulties that might complicate college life.

How we work with you
Every student is unique, so we tailor our services to suit your particular needs. We collaborate with other clinicians at Sindecuse or outside care professionals to ensure counseling supports other care you receive.

We take a holistic approach when working with you to treat the whole person. Our counselors are licensed mental health professionals and graduate  student trainees under close supervision.

Your first visit
An initial appointment may be made by stopping by the reception desk of Sindecuse Health Center. When you first come to the health center, you’ll start with the receptionist on the main floor, check in at registration and then come upstairs to Counseling Services. Counseling Services is open between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Mondays, 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays and between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Thursdays. Website: www.wmich.edu/counseling.

Counseling services are available to all WMU students, enrolled and non-enrolled, full- and part-time status, including those at regional campuses.

Counseling Services respects your right to privacy. Your consent is required before any information is released to a third party. In accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), patient health information is maintained in confidence throughout Sindecuse Health Center and Counseling Services. Here is the privacy policy.

Counseling Services is committed to the need for confidentiality in client/counselor communication. Therefore, confidentiality of client information is maintained in a manner consistent with professional standards of ethical practice and conduct and legislative requirements in the state of Michigan. Copies of the Sindecuse Health Center policy on confidentiality may be obtained at the business office.

Disability Services for Students

  ^ TOP

Disability Services for Students assists Western Michigan University students with disabilities as they seek to find effective accommodations, maximize their abilities and gain independence. DSS offers university services including advocacy, registration assistance, campus accessibility information, and referral to and liaison with other campus and community agencies. DSS may also provide classroom or academic adjustments including accommodation for classroom test, electronic text format and ASL sign-language interpreters. DSS can also provide short-term temporary on-campus transportation to students with mobility issues.

www.wmich.edu/disabilityservices (269)387-2116


  ^ TOP

Western Michigan University students may live on or off campus. Various housing options exist on-campus, ranging from traditional residence halls to apartment living, and all deliver tremendous value to their residents. Besides the convenience of living in the heart of campus, studies show students who live on campus adjust better and are more successful academically than those who live off campus. For these reasons, students should carefully consider the benefits of on-campus housing when choosing where to live. Utilities, cable TV, and local phone service are included in housing costs for the residence halls and apartments (the Western View apartments include cable TV).

Your residence hall application and apartment applications are available online and can be completed once you have been admitted and have a valid Bronco ID. The application date is the basis for assignment and the probability of an assignment increases with early application.

WMU Residence Halls, Spindler Hall, WMU Apartments (including the Western View)

For information contact Residence Life, 3510 Faunce Student Services Building, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5312. Telephone: (269) 387-4735; Fax: (269) 387-4786; E-mail: RL-info@wmich.edu; Website: www.wmich.edu/housing.

Office of Information Technology

  ^ TOP

The Office of Information Technology offers a wide variety of technology related services to students, faculty, and staff. These services include anti-virus protection, cable television, classroom technology, email, consulting and project management, instructional support, media services, networking, both wired and wireless, and online information security education www.wmich.edu/it. Online secure transactions are handled through the University’s portal, Go WMU gowmu.wmich.edu. IT provides student computing labs in the University Computing Center (UCC) and the Bernhard Center. A lab for faculty technology is also located in the UCC. A technology help desk is provided as your first point of contact with computing, tablets, or smart phone assistance, (269) 387-4357, option 1 or www.wmich.edu/helpdesk.

International Programs and Services

  ^ TOP

International studies and programs at Western Michigan University are led by the Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education. The University has made a serious commitment to continued expansion of international education across the campus, a goal that is included in the University mission statement. The “international” link on the University’s home page will take you to the Haenicke Institute’s comprehensive web page and a detailed directory and description of international programs and services. Almost all offices that administer international programs and services are housed within the Haenicke Institute which is conveniently located in Ellsworth Hall. The University annually hosts nearly 1,800 international students and has a long tradition of international involvement across all colleges. 

Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education

Dr. Wolfgang Schlör, Associate Provost
2425 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245
Telephone: (269) 387-5890; FAX (269) 387-0630

The Haenicke Institute for Global Education collaborates with colleges, departments, and interdisciplinary programs to promote global, international, and area studies throughout Western Michigan University. The Institute houses four designated centers and offices devoted to international education.

Office of International Admissions and Services

Mr. Juan Tavares, Director
4271 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5246
Telephone: (269) 387-5865; FAX (269) 387-5899
E-mail: oiss-info@wmich.edu

Within the Haenicke Institute, International Admissions and Services office handles admissions and special needs for international students. Services include:

  • Processing of applications for admission
  • Immigration advising
  • Orientation program for newly arrived international students
  • Assistance with housing arrangements
  • Coordination of international student organizations and activities
  • Liaison between international students and financial sponsors
  • Personal and social counseling

International students interested in seeking admission to Western Michigan University may access application information and an online printable application at: www.wmich.edu/internationaladmissions/apply.

Immigration Services


Ms. Lee Ryder, J.D., Director of Immigration Services
4265 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5246
Telephone: (269) 387-5873; FAX (269) 387-5899

Immigration services for international students, international visitors and faculty are provided through the immigration office of the Haenicke Institute.

Center for English Language and Culture for International Students (CELCIS)

Mr. Thomas Marks, Director
B0522 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5223
Telephone: (269) 387-4800; FAX (269) 387-4806
E-mail: celcis-info@wmich.edu

As part of the Haenicke Institute, the Center for English and Culture for International Students (CELCIS) established in 1975, provides instruction in English as a second language for non-native speakers who will use English to study at an American college or university or in their workplaces.

CELCIS also offers a range of individually designed, short-term programs that may include English language training (at any level) and introductory studies in American culture.

CELCIS offers classes at six English language proficiency levels which include: speaking and listening comprehension, grammar, academic reading and vocabulary building, academic writing, and research paper writing. Extra-curricular activities include conversation circles, volunteer opportunities, and various social, sport, and cultural programs.

CELCIS operates three fifteen-week terms per year (fall, spring and summer). Successful completion of CELCIS meets the minimum English proficiency requirements for all undergraduate programs and some graduate programs at Western Michigan University.

Study Abroad


Dr. Jane Blyth, Director
2425 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245
Telephone: (269) 387-5890; FAX (269) 387-0630
E-mail: study-abroad@wmich.edu

Study Abroad offers more than 70 study programs in 30-plus countries, varying in length from a few weeks to a full academic year and access to hundreds of programs administered by University-approved study abroad providers. Programs are available for undergraduates and graduates in a broad spectrum of disciplines for an academic year, one semester, or summer terms. Competitive scholarships and grants are available, such as the President’s Grant for Study Abroad that offers up to $9,000 for foreign-language students seeking an overseas language-intensive experience.

Students who undertake study abroad programs, or conduct individualized research, field studies, internships or other experiences outside the United States that carry WMU academic credit, and/or under the direct auspices of WMU faculty, must register with WMU Office of Study Abroad.

Study Abroad also provides a number of important services to WMU students preparing to study, intern, or do research outside the United States. Services include orientation programs, insurance procedures, and current information about conditions in countries of destination. Study Abroad maintains an extensive research area and databases for programs offered by other colleges and universities. The office also serves as a contact point between WMU students overseas and the university.

International Research and Study Centers

Dr. Wolfgang Schlör, Associate Provost
2425 Ellsworth Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245
Telephone: (269) 387-5890; FAX (269) 387-0630

The Haenicke Institute hosts four international centers devoted to teaching, research, or outreach for a particular area of the world. Each center has as its mission the goal of furthering understanding and knowledge of a country or region. These centers contribute substantially to the global understandings of faculty and students at Western Michigan University, as well as members of the community.

Center for African Development Policy Research
Dr. Sisay Asefa, Director
3531 Ellsworth Hall
Telephone: (269) 387-1945

The Michitoshi Soga Japan Study Center
Dr. Takashi Yoshida, Director
3525 Ellsworth Hall
Telephone: (269) 387-5874

Timothy Light Center for Chinese Studies
Dr. Wei-Chiao Huang, Director
2449 Ellsworth Hall
Telephone: (269) 387-3872

The Confucius Institute
Dr. Wolfgang Schlör, Director
3515 Ellsworth Hall
Telephone: (269) 387-3907

Multicultural Affairs, Division of

  ^ TOP

The mission of the Division of Multicultural Affairs (DMA) is to engage students in discovery and learning experiences in an effort to facilitate academic success and participation in a multicultural world.

DMA strives to ensure that all students are given the full opportunity to discover and develop their talents, interests, and unique potential, and to provide a learning-centered environment that presents the context for intellectual, cultural, professional, and personal growth during the college experience. Through programs, services, and initiatives that advance cross-cultural proficiencies and personal empowerment, DMA fosters community development, leadership, and a campus climate that respects and appreciates the history, culture, and traditions of all students.

For information, call 269-387-4420, visit 2260 Ellsworth Hall, or visit the website www.wmich.edu/multicultural.

Online Education

  ^ TOP

As part of a learner-centered, research university, WMU Online Education offers a broad spectrum of courses and programs via elearning technologies. Through Online Education, Western Michigan University provides access to high-quality education for those unable to travel to campus, yet who want to pursue and/or continue their academic goals. Online Education partners with academic colleges and departments to offer expanded access to educational opportunities. Courses are offered through Online Education in the following modalities:

  • Online courses - no required face-to-face meetings, delivery is completely online.
  • Hybrid courses - there is a mix of distance and face-to-face instruction, with at least 51% of the instruction online.
  • Open Learning - self-paced, undergraduate online courses with flexible start/end dates, students have up to six months to complete the course.

Along with acting as a first line of student and faculty support for online programs and courses, Online Education provides access to student support services, instructional design, course development and maintenance support to faculty, and on-campus/off-campus testing services.

3rd floor Ellsworth Hall
Telephone (269) 387-4200
Fax (269) 387-4226

Parking and Vehicle Registration

  ^ TOP

Detailed regulations concerning the use of motor vehicles on campus is available from the Department of Public Safety’s Parking Services. All students are eligible to park a motor vehicle on University property; however, they must first register their motor vehicle, motorcycle, and/or moped with Parking Services and pay a registration fee. Information concerning parking regulations, parking permits, and parking violations can be obtained by visiting Parking Services located at 2507 West Michigan Avenue (at the corner of West Michigan and Knollwood) or by telephoning (269) 387-4609 Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Visit our web page at www.wmich.edu/parking for complete rules and permit prices.


  ^ TOP

Located at 511 Monroe Street, off the 1300 block of West Michigan Ave., the Department of Public Safety is open 24 hours a day, providing a full range of police services through the use of a uniformed patrol division, a detective bureau, and a communications center. The Department of Public Safety is responsible for investigating all crimes and accidents occurring on University property and is committed to providing an environment conducive to the education of the students at Western Michigan University. Towards that goal, the department’s various divisions and bureaus have coordinated their efforts to create and maintain a feeling of security and safety within the University community. Information can be obtained by visiting the webpage: www.wmudps.wmich.edu or the office. The Department’s telephone number is (269) 387-5555 or 911 in an emergency.


  ^ TOP

The Western Herald or www.westernherald.com is WMU’s independent student news organization. The Herald website is available 24/7 in both print editions of the Herald are distributed in convenient campus newsracks. All Western Herald news, advertising, technical, and business positions are staffed by students. More information is available at herald-general-manager@wmich.edu.

Western News is the official publication for administration, faculty, and staff members. It is published every other Thursday during fall and spring semesters and the summer I session by the Office of University Relations. That office also produces WMU News, an online news source that is updated daily and can be found at www.wmich.edu/wmu/news.

The WMU Magazine is a quarterly publication distributed to alumni, donors, friends, faculty, staff and students. Produced by the Office of University Relations, the magazine had a circulation of more than 75,000 and focuses on new campus developments and initiatives, research and news of universitywide import.


  ^ TOP

WMUK is owned and operated by Western Michigan University and broadcasts two separate program streams in HD with an effective power of 50,000 watts at 102.1 FM. The station is a non-profit public radio station and charter member of National Public radio as well as an affiliate of American Public Media and Public Radio International. WMUK’s primary signal covers a 33 mile radius, with secondary coverage extending to 80 miles. Listeners can also hear WMUK over the Internet at www.wmuk.org.

WMUK provides a cultural extension of the University through its broadcasts of campus, community, and area events. The station has built an enviable reputation in classical, bluegrass, and jazz music programming, as well as programming for Spanish-speaking audiences. The station provides student internships through the School of Communication.

The majority of WMUK funding comes from Western Michigan University, listener support and local underwriting. Additional funds are provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting..

WIDR(FM), a 100-watt station operated by students, broadcasts on 89.1. Facilities of WIDR(FM) are located in 1501 Faunce Student Services Building. WIDR(FM) offers a unique opportunity for Western Michigan University students to gain experience in programming, promotion, and station operation. For more information, please visit the website at www.widrfm.org.

Sindecuse Health Center

  ^ TOP

Sindecuse Health Center offers high-quality, cost-saving health services by an experienced, multidisciplinary staff. Our board-certified clinicians offer evaluation and treatment for illness or injury to students, faculty and staff by appointment. In addition to clinical care, we serve the campus community with pharmacy, lab and x-ray and physical therapy services. Counseling services are available to students. Our health promotion programs enhance individual and community health. The health center is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care Inc. For more information, including insurance company participation, visit www.sindecuse.com.

Important Phone Numbers (Area code 269)
Information and appointments 387-3287
Counseling Services 387-1850
Health Promotion and Education 387-3263
HIV testing and counseling 387-4HIV
Insurance, student health plan 387-3266
Insurance, other 387-4303
Lab/x-ray 387-3245
Pharmacy 387-3301
Physical Therapy 387-3248
Prescription Refills 387-3288
Sports Medicine Clinic 387-3248

Speech, Language, and Hearing Services

  ^ TOP

The Charles Van Riper Language, Speech, and Hearing Clinic is a service program provided by the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology for persons with communication disorders. It is located in the Unified Clinics at University Medical and Health Sciences Center, 1000 Oakland Drive. Students may take advantage of evaluation and therapy services by contacting the Clinic for an appointment. Telephone: 387-8047.

Student Activities and Leadership Programs

  ^ TOP

The mission of the Student Activities and Leadership Programs office is to enhance student learning and leadership development by engaging students in educationally purposeful academic and diverse co-curricular experiences. We welcome you as a valued member of our community and are excited to be a part of your learning and personal development. Currently, WMU has over 350 registered student organizations representing a diverse range of interests.

Our services include coordinating major campus wide events including Bronco Bash and Homecoming. We advise and provide resources to registered student organizations, and coordinate campus wide leadership development programs through a variety of different formats for individual student leaders at all skill levels. We provide support to the Office of Faith and Spiritual Development and Fraternity and Sorority Life. We coordinate two large opportunities for service and civic engagement called “Fall Into the Streets” and “Spring Into the Streets”.

Student life in an important dynamic of the college experience and we encourage students to become active members of our WMU community.

For detailed information, visit the website at  www.wmich.edu/activities or visit our office in 223 Bernhard Center.

Telephone Directory

  ^ TOP

The WMU Faculty/Staff/Student Telephone Directory is published annually by Office of University Relations. It is distributed during early November, without charge, to all students in residence halls and family housing units, and is available at the University Computing Center.

Individual listings in the WMU Student Directory contain the following information:

  1. Name
  2. Curriculum
  3. Local address and telephone number
  4. Home address

Students wishing to exclude any or all of the above information from the WMU Student Directory (printed and electronic) must fill out a Directory Exclusion Form in Room 3210, Seibert Administration Building, during the first five days of classes fall semester. During spring semester and summer I and summer II sessions, students may restrict this information to academic use by filling out the Directory Exclusion Form during the first five days of classes.

University Libraries

  ^ TOP

Waldo Library, the main library at Western Michigan University, was built in 1958, expanded in 1967, and then extensively renovated and expanded in 1991. The Library is named after Dwight B. Waldo, the University’s first president. In addition to Waldo Library, the University Libraries includes four branch libraries. The Education Library, in Sangren Hall, has over 733,400 items and receives more than 600 periodical titles. The Music and Dance Library, in the Dalton Center, houses over 50,200 books, musical scores, and periodicals, as well as over 20,000 audio and video recordings. The Archives and Regional History Collections moved into the Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center in fall 2013 on the Oakland Drive campus. Here are collections of unique and rare materials about the history of southwest Michigan and the official records of the University.

Each of these libraries supports teaching and research in disciplines related to the materials collected. Thus Waldo Library has resources and services supporting the University’s undergraduate and graduate programs in the humanities, fine arts, business, health and human services, social sciences, science, and engineering. University Libraries as a whole holds more than 4,456,200 volumes. Electronic books and journals number more than 80,000.

The major purpose of the University Libraries is to take an active role in the educational process at the University, and to provide facilities, materials, and an environment which will not only support the students’ educational progress but also will encourage them to develop the habit of self-education.

Visit the Libraries’ Web page (http://www.wmich.edu/library) for more information about services and a listing of available databases and electronic resources.

University Recreation

  ^ TOP

Student Recreation Center
(269) 387-4732

The Student Recreation Center (SRC) is a student-oriented, multi-use facility programmed, staffed, and financed by Western Michigan University students. Recreational, educational, and health promotion programs are provided for the benefit of all WMU students, faculty, staff, spouses, emeriti and alumni facility members. The facility includes an 8,000 square foot fitness/weight room, a recreational pool with attached swirl pool and saunas, a 45’ climbing wall, indoor jogging track, 8 basketball courts, volleyball and badminton courts, indoor tennis courts, 9 racquetball courts, aerobics room, 2 multipurpose gyms and a cycling room.

Memberships are available on a Semester (fall/spring) and Session (summer I/summer II) basis. Facility tours are available during all building hours by stopping a the service desk or main office. Student access to the SRC is determined by enrollment fees paid, not credit hours registered. The access fee for the SRC is rolled into the enrollment fee. Students who pay the enrollment fee have access to the SRC for that semester or session.

**Students involved in internships, student teaching or taking classes through Extended University Programs may not be assessed the SRC membership enrollment fee. Student should check their tuition invoice to determine payment of fee. Students NOT assess the fee have the option to purchase a membership at the SRC**

Informal Recreation
Informal recreation permits individual choice of activity. Various facilities are available on a drop-in or reservation basis including basketball courts, volleyball courts, racquetball courts, tennis courts, squash court, indoor and outdoor tracks, fitness/weight room, and swimming pool. Other open recreation opportunities include badminton, table tennis, climbing wall, and wallyball. Equipment for various activities may be checked out with a valid Bronco ID card.

Outdoor Recreation
University Recreation also provides competition-style outdoor track, tennis courts, soccer fields, intramural fields and a sand volleyball court. Selected outdoor equipment may be available for checkout with a valid Bronco ID card from the SRC Service Desk.

Intramural Sports
Intramural Sports are available for students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the SRC who are interested in competitive activities. The program offers both team and individual sports, including basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, ice hockey, flag football, tennis, racquetball, in-line hockey, and much more. Intramurals provide opportunities for individuals to participate in sports experiences that will develop team building and leadership skills. Opportunities for leadership are available for students who wish to officiate contests.

Fitness Programs
University Recreation offers a variety of aerobics fitness classes to meet fitness needs of participants. Enthusiastic and energetic instructors will lead participants in classes that consist of a variety of cardiovascular activity, strengthening, flexibility, and relaxation exercises designed to meet the needs of all fitness levels. Passes are necessary for admission to all classes. Additionally, completion of the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) is required prior to initial participation.

Fitness Weight Room
Located in the SRC, the 8,000 square foot fitness/weight room contains a full line of variable resistance weight machines, treadmills, free weights, exercise bicycles, stair climbers and elliptical machines. Personal Trainers are available to instruct on proper use of the equipment and to provide exercise training guidelines to meet personal goals. Located by the indoor track are 45 cardio machines where participants can exercise.

Climbing Wall
Students can feel the excitement of scaling a 45-foot wall. The Climbing Wall is designed to challenge and teach participants about the unique sport of indoor climbing. Students may take a climbing clinic to learn the proper belay techniques or just drop by and climb. The wall is a top-rope system where climbers are harnessed in for safety.

Club Sports
Students who wish to compete or learn a new sport may join sport clubs. A sport club is a registered student organization (RSO), formed by individuals motivated by a common interest and desire to participate in a favorite sport activity. Sport clubs vary in focus and programming since student members manage the operation of the club and decide club activities. A sport club may be competitive, recreational, social or any combination of all of these formats. These clubs hold practices and compete against other schools. WMU offers 20 clubs ranging from Synchronized Skating, Sailing, Lacrosse, Rugby, Volleyball, Ice Hockey to Ultimate Frisbee.

For more information on services and specific days and times of programs, pick up a SRC Program Guide or call our membership desk at (269) 387-3115. Current information may also be found on the web at www.wmich.edu/rec.

Veterans’ Assistance

  ^ TOP

The Office of the Registrar, on the third floor of the Administration Building certifies students under the G.I. Bill and its extensions. The Veterans’ Certification Officer will assist any person who seeks certification, or application, to the Veterans Administration under applicable programs.

Students who wish to receive V.A. benefits must annually file a “V.A. Certification Information Card” outlining plans for enrollment for the coming year. Students are certified on the basis of attendance and academic progress toward a declared degree. Address changes are also to be reported to the Veterans’ Certification Officer as soon as possible.

In addition to normal scholarship standards, students receiving benefits from the Veterans Administration are advised of their additional rights and responsibilities.

In-State Tuition for Active Duty Military Personnel and Their Dependents

Western Michigan University will grant instate tuition to all Veterans and  their dependents. 

For the purpose of this policy, a child is a dependent as defined by IRS income tax regulations. A spouse, widow or widower of a service member or veteran who has honorably served will also be granted in-state tuition.

Western Michigan University will also grant in-state tuition to all individuals who are not eligible for VA educational benefits but have honorably served or are serving in the Reserve or Active Components of the US Armed Forces.

Western Michigan University will additionally grant in-state tuition to dependents of those individuals who have honorably served or are serving in the Reserve or Active Components of the US Armed Forces, and who would otherwise not be eligible for VA educational benefits.

The Veterans’ Certification Officer may be reached in the Office of the Registrar at (269) 387-4115.


The Western Edge™

  ^ TOP

The Western Edge is a strategic plan for promoting student success and keeping the quality of education offered by WMU affordable. It reflects Western’s commitment to building a culture that puts students first. There are four independent components to the Western Edge:

Enhanced Academic Advising
Enhanced academic advising will help move students smoothly and quickly through their degree programs.

Accelerated Graduate Degree Programs
Three year bachelors programs and five year bachelors-to-masters programs give student the opportunity to accelerate their time to degree as well as the opportunity to get ahead in their careers.

Degree Works
Degree Works is a web based tool available to help students plan their plan to graduation. Degree Works brings WMU degree requirements and a students completed coursework together to provide a complete view of progress toward degree completion.

Career Edge
The Career Edge gives students the opportunity to extend their education beyond the classroom by helping them develop the skills and competencies that will help them graduate career-ready.

Students are encouraged to select the components of the Western Edge that work best for them - we realize that no two students are the same. Some students will want to enjoy the benefits of all these components; others may want to select only those components that fit their current educational objectives.

For more information about the different components of the Western Edge, go to

Writing Center

  ^ TOP

The Writing Center, located at 1343 Ellsworth Hall, helps all Western Michigan University graduate and undergraduate students improve their writing abilities. Our writing consultants include undergraduate and graduate students as well as adjunct instructors. Consultants are trained to help students with any aspect of written, oral, visual, and electronic communications, including assignments from any class, employment search communications (résumés, cover letters, thank-you notes, etc.), scholarship essays, graduate school personal statements, dissertation chapters, PowerPoint presentations, and much more. We work with students enrolled in any class on our main campus, at any regional campus, or online and with students who are studying abroad or working at internships. We also help students for whom English is an additional language and students who have disabilities. Finally, our instructional assistance is free to all students.

Typically, a consultant will meet with a student one-on-one to offer feedback on the student’s work, though we also meet with groups of writers who are collaborating on projects. Some students ask for help getting started on a writing assignment or task, while some work with us to improve their test writing abilities, decrease their writing phobia, develop proofreading skills, or improve their understanding of a particular documentation style (APA, MLA, Chicago Manual, etc.) or genre (lab reports, memos, proposals, grants, etc.) Consultants and students may meet in person on our main campus, and we are also available by telephone and email for students who cannot come to campus.

Students may get help from consultants in a 50-minute appointment or a 20-minute drop-in session. It’s easiest for students to make appointments through our online scheduler, which can be found on our website: www.wmich.edu/casp/writingcenter. Students may also call us at (269) 387-4615 to make an appointment or get directions. In addition, students who want to use our drop-in services by telephone should also call (269) 387-4615, and should leave a message with their telephone number if they reach our voice-mail.

Our hours for each semester and summer session are listed on our website. In addition to our Monday through Friday hours, during fall and spring semesters, we also offer Sunday hours from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. at our 3rd floor Waldo Library location. Students who want help when the University is not holding classes may email the Writing Center director at kim.ballard@wmich.edu.

At the request of instructors or organization leaders, Writing Center staff will develop and present workshops in classes or meetings. We are also available for in-class writing assistance.

Our consultants truly enjoy working with students on their writing and hope as many students as possible take advantage of our eagerness to help them learn. As part of the Center for Academic Success Programs (CASP), we are dedicated to helping students excel at Western Michigan University.



  ^ TOP