Aug 18, 2022  
Undergraduate Catalog 2011-12 
Undergraduate Catalog 2011-12 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Speech Pathology and Audiology Major (35 hours)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments and Programs

A major in speech pathology and audiology consists of a minimum of 35 hours in speech pathology and audiology plus additional course work specified by the department. These additional requirements include course work in general education, supporting courses outside the department, and an academic minor. Each student is responsible for obtaining information on degree requirements and for taking the steps necessary to meet those requirements.

Students interested in a major in speech pathology and audiology should contact the department office within the College of Health and Human Services for an appointment with an undergraduate advisor. Because the sequencing of courses included in this major is critically important, students must seek academic advising from the department on an early and regular basis. Students who fail to do so may be dropped from enrollment in departmental courses.

Baccalaureate-Level Writing Requirement

Students who have chosen the Speech Pathology and Audiology major will satisfy the Baccalaureate-Level Writing requirement by successfully completing:

Teacher Certification Track

Students who seek careers as Teacher of the Speech and Language Impaired in the public schools (in states which require teacher certification for such employment) must complete a professional education minor which is required for the Provisional Teaching Certificate in addition to earning a master’s degree in speech-language pathology. Two options for earning teaching certification are offered. The majority of students are encouraged to complete a minor in elementary education which leads to recommendation for the Elementary Provisional Teaching Certificate. Other students or post baccalaureate practicing Speech-Language Pathologists may earn Secondary Provisional Teaching Certification by completing a minimum 20-hour minor in an approved teaching area as well as required professional education course work. Specific requirements and approval for these minors are obtained from the Education Advising and Admissions Office, 2504 Sangren Hall. Students must obtain an approved minor slip signed by an approved education advisor. Practicing Speech-Language Pathologists are to seek advisement through the Teaching Certification Office, 2104 Sangren Hall.

Completion of the foregoing requirements, together with completion of the curricular requirements, and completion of a program in speech pathology (including a graduate level six credit hour school internship in speech-language pathology) will result in recommendation of the student for the appropriate level of Provisional Teaching Certification. Simultaneously, the master’s degree recipient in this track is approved for employment in Michigan as a “Teacher of the Speech and Language Impaired” and typically also will have completed the academic and practicum experiences required for employment in other clinical settings as well. Although Michigan does not require Teacher Certification for speech-language pathologists or audiologists employed in the public schools, other states may require such certification. A graduate emphasis in audiology does not satisfy Teacher Certification requirements.

Non-Teacher Certification Track

Students who seek careers in settings in Michigan (for example, in schools, hospitals, community agencies, and rehabilitation centers) are not required to complete the requirements for teaching certification outlined above. Students in this case are required to complete an academic minor in an area such as holistic health, Spanish, biology, business, social work, computer science, physics, psychology, gerontology or another related discipline. Assistance in selecting an appropriate minor is available through the departmental undergraduate advisor.

Completion of the curricular requirements, together with the completion of a master’s degree program in speech pathology or doctoral program in audiology, typically satisfies all academic and practicum requirements of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association for a Certificate of Clinical Competence in the emphasis area (speech and language pathology or audiology) pursued in graduate school.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments and Programs