Jul 12, 2024  
Graduate Catalog 2012-13 
Graduate Catalog 2012-13 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition and Fees

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



In addition to the tuition and fees, in the event the account is referred to a collection agency, the student will be responsible for any collection costs, collection fees, and collection charges and/or legal fees incurred in collecting the account balance.

Questions concerning current fee schedules should be directed to the Office of the Director of Accounting Services.


  ^ TOP

For the current tuition rates, go to www.wmich.edu/tuition. These rates are subject to change without notice by action of the Board of Trustees.

[ · ] Resident: See the Resident Classification section directly below for definition.
[ · · ] Non-Resident: See the Residency Policy section directly below for definition.

Residency Policy of Western Michigan University


The governing board at each university in Michigan has the authority to establish a residency policy for admissions and/or tuition and fee purposes. Therefore, residency policies will vary between institutions and are independent of those used by the State to determine residency for purposes such as income and property tax liability, driving and voting.

Any Western Michigan student may apply for in-state resident status for any semester/session in which they are enrolled in on campus courses by completing a residency application in accordance with University procedure.

Since a student normally comes to Western Michigan University for the primary purpose of attending the University rather than to establish a domicile in Michigan, one who enrolls in the University as a non-resident shall continue to be deemed a non-resident, unless and until the student demonstrates that his/her previous domicile has been abandoned and a Michigan domicile established.

Domicile is defined as the place where an individual’s true, fixed and permanent home and principle establishment is and to which the individual returns whenever absent from the University. Twelve consecutive months of physical presence immediately preceding the first day of classes is a strong indicator of domicile.

A. Residence of Student

A student may be considered domiciled in Michigan if the student is in continuous physical presence in this state for one year (12 consecutive months) immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident status is sought and intends to make Michigan his/her permanent home and has no domicile elsewhere. The year of continuous presence is never the only criterion used for determining in-state residency status and, by itself, will not qualify a student for residency status for tuition paying purposes at Western.

B. Residence of Parents

The domicile of a dependent student is presumed to be the same as that of the student’s parents. Regardless of whether the parent is the student’s custodial parent, a dependent student with one or both parents domiciled in Michigan, according to Western’s Residency Policy, is presumed to be eligible for resident status as long as the student has not taken steps to establish a domicile outside of Michigan or any other action inconsistent with maintaining a domicile in Michigan.

The domicile of a dependent student’s legal guardian(s) has the same evidentiary effect as that of a dependent student’s parent(s), and references to parents in this policy shall include legal guardians, only when the student is the dependent of the legal guardian, and such guardianship has been established due to complete incapacity or death of the student’s natural parent(s). A parent’s inability to provide funds necessary to support a college education does not qualify as complete incapacity.

A dependent student who is living in Michigan and who is, according to Western’s Residency Policy, permanently domiciled in Michigan would maintain resident status if the parents leave Michigan provided: (1) the student has completed at least the junior year of high school prior to the parent’s departure; (2) the student remains in Michigan, enrolled as a full-time student in high school or an institution of higher education and (3) the student has not taken steps to establish a domicile outside of Michigan or any other action inconsistent with maintaining a domicile in Michigan.

C. Residence of Spouse

The residence of a student who otherwise would be classified as a non-resident will follow that of his/her spouse if the spouse qualifies as a resident for tuition-paying purposes.

D. Michigan High School Enrollment and Graduation

A Michigan high school graduate who completes his/her senior year at a Michigan high school, remains physically present in Michigan immediately following high school graduation to the first day of classes of the term in which the student is enrolled in on campus courses, and provides the required State of Michigan tax documents of parent(s) or guardian(s) (for dependent student) or student (if independent) qualifies as a resident student for tuition and fee purposes at Western.

E. Returning Veterans

Western Michigan University supports returning WMU students, transfers, or new students who are veterans by classifying all returning veterans as Michigan residents for tuition-paying purposes beginning with their first semester/session of enrollment at WMU.

F. Individuals Holding Visas

International students attending on a student visa of F1, J1, or M1 and H (work) visas are in Michigan on a temporary basis. By definition, these students are not able to establish a permanent domicile in Michigan and should not apply for Michigan resident tuition unless they qualify for residency under another provision of this policy such as residence of spouse.

Persons entitled to reside permanently in the United States may be eligible to obtain resident status. These individuals must still prove that they have established a Michigan domicile as defined in this policy. Currently, individuals will qualify under this classification only if they hold and can provide one of the following: 1) a fully processed Permanent Resident Alien Card or passport stamp verifying final approval by the filing deadline established for the applicable term 2) an I-94 card with “Refugee” designation; or 3) an A, E (primary), G or I visa.

G. Migrant Worker (Seasonal/Agricultural Employment)

If an independent student, or the parent of a dependent student, has been employed as a migrant worker in Michigan for a minimum of two (2) months each year for three (3) of the five (5) years prior to the date of the proposed in-state classification or for a minimum of three (3) months each year for two (2) of the five (5) years prior to the date of the proposed in-state classification, the student shall be classified as resident. Proof and verification of employment is required. A migrant worker in Michigan is defined as one who travels to Michigan to pursue agricultural or related industry employment.

H. In-State Tuition Rates Required by Law

Western Michigan University will comply with all state and federal laws that require a student to be classified as a Michigan resident for the purpose of tuition and fees.

I. Misrepresentation and Falsification of Information

Students who provide false or misleading information or who intentionally omit relevant information on their admissions application or the residency application or any other document relevant to residency eligibility may be subject to disciplinary and/or legal measures. Decisions made based upon misrepresented or falsified information may be revoked.

J. Appeal Process

Any student may appeal the decision on their residency application by following the prescribed appeal process. Failure to comply with the procedure shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reclassification or rebates for the applicable semester/session. The student will receive a written response on the appeal request. The decision on the residency appeal shall be the final recourse within the University.

K. Required Documentation

A student must provide the following documentation when applying for residency.

  • A copy of their valid Michigan driver’s license and/or a copy of the Michigan driver’s license of the person(s) upon whom the applicant is basing the claim to resident eligibility.
  • Verification of U.S. citizenship or of visa status if the applicant was born outside of the United States. This verification may be based upon information already provided by the student to the University through the admission process.
  • Any other documentation requested by the University that is deemed necessary to support the applicant’s claim to residency eligibility.

When applicable, applicants claiming in-state residency will be asked to provide documentation verifying the 12-month consecutive domicile requirement of Western’s policy. Types of documentation that may be requested include proof of employment, proof of Michigan personal income taxes being withheld, copies of recent Michigan and federal tax returns and W2 or 1099 forms, and enrollment verification at a Michigan school, if applicable. Additional documentation may also be requested. The application procedure for residency specifies additional detail on the nature of documentation that is required. In addition, the documentation provided must apply to the person(s) upon whom the applicant is basing the claim to resident eligibility.

L. Initial Residency Classification

A student enrolling at Western for the first time shall be classified as a resident or non-resident for tuition paying purposes. The student is responsible for reading the Residency Policy and to register under the proper residency classification. Admissions reviews the residency classification at the time of application. If an application does not denote residency status, a status of non-resident will be assigned. If an applicant indicates Michigan residency on the admissions application and Admissions questions this status then the applicant will be classified as a non-resident. Additionally, if an applicant previously attended Western as a non-resident and reapplies for admission, he/she will be classified as a non-resident at the time of readmission. Questions raised regarding a student’s Michigan residency do not necessarily mean that the student will be ineligible for in-state residency. It simply means that the student’s circumstances must be documented by completing an application for a change in residency status.

M. Establishing a Michigan Domicile

The circumstances and activities described in sections A through H above may demonstrate Michigan domicile, though not conclusive or exhaustive, they may lend support to a claim of eligibility for resident status.

The following circumstances, standing alone, shall not constitute sufficient evidence of domicile to effect classification of a student as a resident under these regulations; however, they do provide some supporting evidence.

  • A Michigan’s driver license
  • Enrollment in a Michigan educational institution
  • Michigan employment
  • Payment of Michigan income or property taxes
  • Ownership of property in Michigan
  • 12-month lease in Michigan
  • Presence of relative(s) in Michigan (other than parent(s) for dependent student)

N. Administration of the Policy

The Office of the Vice President for Business and Finance will administer this policy and is authorized to establish procedures to effectuate and interpret the Residency Policy. The Accounts Receivable may grant residency status based upon the use of professional judgment in applying this policy.

O. Submission Information

Applications for residency reclassification for tuition-paying purposes must be received in the Accounts Receivable Office, Western Michigan University, 1903 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5203 according to the schedule below. Your application must include your WESTERN IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (WIN) and you must be registered for classes before your application will be processed for the semester/session requested.

Application for: Earliest Date to Turn in Application: Deadline Date to Turn in Application:
Spring Semester December 1 First Day of Classes
Summer I Session April 1 First Day of Classes
Summer II Session June 1 First Day of Classes
Fall Semester August 1 First Day of Classes

Please Note: Incomplete information and/or lack of required documents could result in immediate denial and/or delay the processing of your application for a change in residency status for tuition-paying purposes. All official actions concerning the review of your residency application for tuition-paying purposes will be sent to your wmich.edu email address.

(Policy as approved 7/23/2010)

Auditing Courses, Tuition for


Students who audit courses (who register for classes but do not desire credit) are governed by the same regulations and tuition and fees as students desiring credit.

Change in Credit Hour Load, Effect on Tuition

Changes in student credit hour load prior to the end of the final day for adding a course are considered to be reassessments, and a refund may be granted if the net reduction in the credit hour load changes the student’s rate category. After the final day for adding a course, there is no reassessment or refund for reduction in credit hour load. An increase in credit hour load may result in an upward adjustment of the tuition fee assessment if the net addition in the credit hour load changes the student’s rate category. Students should refer to www.wmich.edu/registrar for complete information pertaining to the University’s refund dates and policy.

Complete Withdrawal from All Courses, Effect on Tuition


The Registrar’s website should be consulted for the refund policy that pertains to complete withdrawal. The refund policies for any given semester or session can also be found on www.wmich.edu/registrar .

Students completely withdrawing from all classes must enter this information into GoWMU or by going to the Registrar’s office during the official drop/add days in order to process their withdrawal and assure a refund. The withdrawal date for refund purposes will normally be determined by the date that the Registrar receives a Request for Late Drop form or an Appeal for a Late Withdrawal form.

Students who find it impossible to be on campus to process a complete withdrawal and do not have access to GoWMU may write to the Registrar’s office, Room 3210 Seibert Administration Building, for aid in processing their withdrawal. All written requests for complete withdrawal must bear the appropriate postmark date for consideration of any refund.

Student Fees Other Than Tuition

  ^ TOP

Admission Application Fee

A non-refundable fee of $35 must accompany each application for admission.

Class Fees

Some courses have class-specific fees for which the student will be responsible. These fees will be viewable in the course section on the Course Offerings page.

Collection Costs


In addition to the tuition and fees, in the event the account is referred to a collection agency, the student will be responsible for any collection costs, collection fees, and collection charges and/or legal fees incurred in collecting the account balance.

Enrollment Fee

For all students registered in on-campus courses, the enrollment fee incorporates all required fees with the exception of the student organizations’ assessment fee into a single per capita assessment. The enrollment fee for students registered in on-campus classes can be found on www.wmich.edu/registrar/tuition .


Extended University Programs Fee

Effective Fall 2008, tuition for Extended University Program (EUP) courses is set by credit hour, with undergraduate and graduate per credit hour rates. An additional $20 per class technology fee is also assessed. Current tuition rates for EUP courses can be found on www.wmich.edu/registrar/tuition/index.html.

Graduation Fee and Application Deadline


Summer II Session Graduation (August)
$45.00 Application Deadline: February 1

Fall Semester Graduation (December)
$45.00 Application Deadline: August 1

Spring Semester Graduation (April)
45.00 Application Deadline: December 1

Summer I Session Graduation (June)
$45.00 Application Deadline: February 1

International Student Fee


International students will be charged a $25.00 fee each semester or $12.50 fee each session.

International Student Insurance Program: Mandatory Hospital, Medical, and Surgical Insurance

All international students are required to carry health insurance if health care coverage is not provided by their sponsor. Students will be automatically enrolled in the University-sponsored policy unless an approved alternate policy is chosen. Non-sponsored international students must show proof of coverage and have alternate policies approved at the Sindecuse Health Center during the first two weeks of the semester/session. No refunds of insurance premiums can be given after that time. The insurance coordinator at the Health Center is available to assist students via e-mail at shc-usip@wmich.edu or phone at (269) 387-3266.

Late Add Fee


Students who are not registered for at least one class the day after census will be charged a late fee of $100 per course. For the specific dates that this fee begins see www.wmich.edu/registrar or the semester or session Registration Information booklets.

Liability Insurance Fee

Students enrolled in courses requiring participation off-campus for field experience or practicums will be charged a liability insurance fee. This fee will be assessed one time per year, fall semester through summer II session. Students registered in classes that require more than one type of liability insurance will be charged for each type one time.

Records Initiation Fee

A one-time fee of $300.00 is assessed for each entering (undergraduate, graduate, or transfer) student who is degree-seeking. This fee helps to subsidize the establishment of each student’s official academic record at the University, and supports related activities such as integrated web course registration, online grade and program reviews, automated degree audit, student accounts receivables, and the provision of an individual electronic portfolio that reflects the learning, educational growth, and personal accomplishments for each student.

Residence Hall and Dining Fees


For current rates go to www.reslife.wmich.edu

The rates quoted are on the basis of two or more students per room and include a $25.00 per semester deferred maintenance fee. These fees and rates are subject to change without notice by action of the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees reviews annually the room and dining rates and may increase the rates if, in its opinion, such an increase is necessary.

Newly admitted undergraduate students are automatically sent information about residence hall offerings for the semester they anticipate coming to the University. Individuals returning to the University as reentries and newly admitted graduate students, will receive information by return mail upon requesting details from the Manager of Residence Hall Facilities, Faunce Student Services Building. Residence hall accommodations are not automatically made as a result of admission to the University.

Student Assessment Fee


A student assessment fee (SAF) of $21.00 per semester (Fall and Spring) and $10.50 per session (Summer I and Summer II) will be collected from all undergraduate and graduate students at the time of registration. This assessment is for the support of student organizations and agencies. The student organizations and agencies use this money to enhance the out of classroom experience on campus. The following is a sample of the programs funded in previous years: Bronco Bash, Homecoming, College Bowl, Miller Movies, Bernie’s Afterhours, Bernhard Center’s Center Stage, lectures, etc.

Sustainability Fee

In March 2010 the Western Student Association (WSA) voted in favor of introducing a sustainability fund fee of $8.00 per semester and $4.00 per summer session. The funds are to be used to enrich course offerings, create student green jobs, support a Sustainability Office, support student-driven initiatives, and provide research grants, fellowships, scholarships and awards for students. A student-majority committee will work in consultation with the President’s University-wide Sustainability Office and the Vice President of Student Affairs to determine the appropriate allocation process.


Complete information on how to obtain a Western Michigan University transcript and transcript fees can be found at www.wmich.edu/registrar.

Tuition and Fee Payment for Graduate Appointees

  ^ TOP

Graduate appointees (i.e. those holding assistantships, associateships, or fellowships) are entitled to a charge privilege for tuition and related fees. However, installment payments must be made. An account is considered to be delinquent thirty days after the beginning of a semester and thirty days after the beginning of a session. At that time a one and one-half percent monthly service charge will be added to the unpaid balance. Delinquent accounts are subject to all University collection procedures, including referral to an external collecting agency. all tuition and fees must be paid prior to registration for the next semester/session.


  ^ TOP